Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Greenman
  • 1 Post By brickie in oz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 12:02 PM
Apprentice

Default Termites and firewood?

so i'm almost ready to start my first fire and I'm wondering what is the best way to keep them away?
people say keep firewood away from the house but how far is far enough?
is there any type of firewood that termites don't eat?
any tips would be great
Old 07-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Termites and firewood?

Heavy termite activity here in the Carolinas. If you keep the wood off the ground and dry, those two things alone help greatly. Use cmu blocks and pt or something to stack the wood on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 07-19-2013, 12:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think termites eat any wood that you would want to burn - but rack the wood off the ground, and don't have it leaning on the house - and you should be fine. My wood pile is about a meter from my house and I don't worry about termites at all. A few inches of concrete foundation is enough of a deterrent for your house, probably a reasonable guide

Old 07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Master Builder

Depending where you are in this great land termites are more or less of a problem and the levels of paranoia rise and fall accordingly. A good rule of thumb is to have nothing against your house that can host a gallery for them to transit into your walls. Sunlight is their enemy.

There are plenty of Australian hardwoods plus Australian Cyprus that offer termite resistance. The link provides some better and further information.

www.timber.net.au - The Australian Database of Timber - Termite Management for Builders

The one thing for sure with a forno is any termite that goes in does not come out! The ultimate eco-friendly termite exterminator.
brickie in oz and SpottedFrog like this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-19-2013, 05:04 PM
Journeyman

Termite riddled wood is a great fire starter.
You probably wouldn't want to burn most termite resistant wood as the oils/chemicals that repel them would probably not taste great.
Off the ground,day light,dry,airy,regular ants,echidnas and chooks are pretty good anti termite protection.
I would be more worried about snakes in the wood pile up here, termites are everywhere and pretty well fed just with whats on the ground.
Old 07-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
people say keep firewood away from the house but how far is far enough?
Send it to me termites arent a real problem in Melbourne, Ill look after your fire wood real good.....
SpottedFrog likes this.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:25 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Send it to me termites arent a real problem in Melbourne, Ill look after your fire wood real good.....
does drouin/warragul counts as part of melbourne?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrocAu View Post
does drouin/warragul counts as part of melbourne?

Yes, I should have said most of Vic not Melbourne.
If the weather warms up like they keep predicting then maybe they will become a problem.

I read somewhere that the termites down here are a different type to the veracious ones up north.

The offer to look after your firewood still stands......

Old 08-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Peasant

Thumbs up Re: Termites and firewood?

Gday, I lived in the NE VIC until a couple of years ago and let me tell you they are persistent little buggers. I had some wine barrel planters which were 250mm off the ground and they found them. Maybe it was just the wine they were after.
Please do not store the wood near your home. Distance is your best friend.And if you are really worried put in some termite traps. You can do this yourself and they dont cost the earth.

Cheers john