Old 12-14-2011, 02:04 AM
Serf

Default Tandoor

Hi,
I am in the process of building a 42 inch oven, I am currently up to base level and need to backfill around this before proceeding.

However in the meantime I have diverged and have put together a tandoor in a 44 gallon drum (200 litre oil drum).

The liner was the expensive bit, it is a fired clay liner from a potter in Sydney.
I thought the price a bit steep until I realised what had gone into it, after which I came to the conclusion that the worker is worth his (in this case her) hire.

I put an angle iron base in the drum 1/3 up from the bottom, laid sheet metal on this, 4 inches of vermiculite/ciment fondu and then a firebrick base.

draught is via a 4 inch rhs tube into the centre with a bodgie sort of grate.

Insulation via 30 mm (I really must either metricate or perish!) of kaowool and then filled with loose vermiculite with a vermiculite/ciment fondue layer about 1 inch thick to complete the top.

The thing works like a dream!!!!!!

Half an hour on good charcoal and the wall temps are showing 800 deg. F on my point and shoot thermometer.

Pieces of chicken cook in about one stubbie (12 minutes for the first one)
on skewers and naan (Madhur Jaffrey recipe) are almost instant.

Beware if you have a Burmese cat! There is something in the chicken or Colleen's marinade that means you have to guard your chicken with your life!
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Tandoor

Pictures would be entertaining....Especially of your Ninja cat

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Serf

Default Re: Tandoor

Have you tried slapping bread on the liner.

Would be interested to see how that goes. Would love to try this in WFO, just have to get some longer gloves..... I would like to know if it is any different than just lay it on the hearth.

Good luck with it all....

Marcus
Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I did try the bread thing, but it just fell off and landed in the fire.....

Old 05-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Serf

Hi
naan bread works well slapped on the liner, I use mahadur jaffrey's recipe and apply with a damp tea towel padded on a welding glove. I do lose the odd one.
You need a rod with a right angle hook on the end to retrieve and I use an old steel rule as a scraper. You learn to be deft or scorched !
oven is at about 600 degrees F. but I am still learning, chicken on 6mm skewers cooks to bloody perfection. I use a yogurt based marinade with a spice mix from an asian deli.
Dave
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sounds like a neat oven, David! Enjoy! and Keep us informed....but do share pics!

Thanks!
Jay