Old 06-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Apprentice

Default Pizza door design

A while ago there was a post with photos of a door design, multi skin with insulation. I have been unable to relocate it when searching. Does anyone remember the link? and is there an easy way of searching this site for information? (maybe I am doing something wrong!!!)

Cheers

Craig
Old 06-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza door design

I'm not aware of a link to doors, sounds like a good idea though. Here is the one I built. .062 aluminum and a bucket of pop rivets. It's filled w/ loose vermiculite.

PhotoPlog - Enclosure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Pizza door design

Hi Craig,
here is the removable insulated door that I made for my oven and the cast aluminium doors are in my build thread.

Cheers.

Neill
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza door design-door-back-seal-web.jpg   Pizza door design-door-no-seal-web.jpg   Pizza door design-door-seal-web.jpg  

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

These are my two oven doors
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza door design-oven-006.jpg  

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:53 PM
Laborer

Have a look here, it might help you out!

Cheers!

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ign-17110.html (Insulated door design...)

Old 06-11-2012, 05:38 PM
Apprentice

Thanks chaps.

Some great designs to work with. Not sure if any of these are the ones I had seen before, but it will certainly give my son (the metalworker) food for thought.

I seem to recall that the one I had seen used the vermiculite/cement mix as an insulating layer in the door. Does this sound feasable?

I was also thinking of using any left over fireblanket as an insulating layer.

Cheers

Craig
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Craig,
just be aware of metal doors and materials that will convect your heat out of the oven through the materials used in your door construction. My cast aluminium doors are not insulated (although they were and may still get the insulation), c0nvect heat and cool the oven much quicker than the wood. superwool and expanded mesh.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try to make your door as light as possible. Lifting a heavy (and hot) door in and out can be a pain.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil2 View Post
Try to make your door as light as possible. Lifting a heavy (and hot) door in and out can be a pain.
The weight issue cannot be overstated! My insulated door weighs 35 pounds and feels much heavier than that. Next time.....

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Apprentice

WOW
I am glad I started this thread. It has changed my door construction ideas. Lots to think about.
Leaning away from solid steel now to perhaps insulated wood door (perhaps Jarrah or RedGum) as I am keen to keep as much heat in oven overnight etc, to make multiple uses viable from the initial fire. Particularly in winter in the Adelaide Hills. Gets a bit cold.

Would an inner steel panel sandwiched to timber door with a thick layer of insulation in between work well?

Craig