Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 AM
Laborer

Default new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

i am new to this site and just want to now where i can get the fire bricks i need to build this great brick oven???
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

Hi Jas, just saw your post.

You get the fire bricks from Claypave at Dinmore, I think they're about $3 each which is one reason I didn't build in brick.

If there are other materials you need to find in Brisbane I can probably help.

Cheers,

Mick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Serf

hey im in brisbane too where did you source your materials from? what did you end up building your oven with>? Whats the cheapest best way for me to go>? thanks alot for your time
Old 07-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Apprentice

I decided that a clay oven was the cheapest, easiest, and lightest way for me to go, but brick ovens are clearly going to last longer.

You can see my build through the link in my signature. I'm also gradually documenting it at my blog.

I recommend the rockwool insulation from these guys at Coopers Plains.

Also the render paint from these guys at the Gold Coast - they ship it cheaply, it's great stuff.

Cheers,
Mick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:47 AM
Laborer

Thumbs up Re: new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

yeah hi all, so far with the research i've done iwas able to find firebricks at claypave at chum st Dinmore ,brisbane and yes they are $3.00 each but it will be a little while before i am able to get them ( more overtime to pay for that..)
Landscape places and hardware company's have besser blosks from $3.00 up for 200 series blocks and bunnings have them as well similar price 1/2 blosks $2.00 . i spoke to a tradie and he said shop where they go for concrete gear like Just 4 trade they have everything and if you buy reo mesh make sure your trailer is big enough to carry the over hang or they wont let you take it out , i just trimmed it to fit ..any way i was going to bury it in concrete.
the boxing for the foundation i got at brendale demolition timber yard, i took the tape measure and they gave me a hand saw(cheep) .
i was going to go to the trouble of buying a cement mixer , got out bid heaps on ebay , undersold from people out of the paper that promised they would not sell it to any one else but did.ooh dirty...was i !! so in the end i called the "Concrete taxi "and they mix on site and you only pay for what you need , the foundation was@ $310 from the measurements i gave them over the phone.you can pay the driver once your done and they have wheel barrows on the truck so i"d check them out.
I am planning to do the build in stages when the $$ come my way... if anyone else in brisbane has any info please let us know.thank you .
Old 07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
Apprentice

Sounds good jas,

BTW, consider getting a price on Besser blocks from Boral directly. A friend of mine got them there, and they were cheaper than the retailers.

Cheers,
Mick

Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

thanks all
I have to date finished stand, base, hebel insulation, firebrick floor, dome entrance, and will be starting the dome this weekend (wheather permiting)

cobbler dave
Old 07-09-2010, 04:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

guys

By the way pretty skillled in the hand department but not the computer have photos of construction to date on the computer but how do I post them?

regards dave
Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: new guy wants to build a pompeii oven in brisbane

Hi Dave and welcome to this forum. It looks loke Brisbane is going ahead with 3 new members over the past few days.
To attach your pictures, click on the 'paper clip' (attachments), above the window where you type your post or replies. The attachment window appears and click on "Brouse". Select your picture in the formats that are accepted but you are limited to file size.Once you have selected your pic, click upload. Repeat if you want to load more up to a max 5 pictures. When you have finished your message, click "Submit Reply and your pics are automatically sent. If you want to have your pics open in your post, then click on the paper clip again and they will be within your text.
Easy eh!

Good luck.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 07-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Laborer

hi mick , thanks for the tip and will check it out monday and let you all know the outcome...go Brisbane..