Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 04:38 AM
Master Builder

Default new build in werribee

Below was my first ever post. Throughout my WFO build the thread got quite large. My aim with this build was to document it thoroughly with detailed and copious numbers of photos.

In time I will place an index on this page to allow the reader to navigate this thread directly to the pages pointing to the various stages of my build. Hopefully this should make it easier for the newbie.

Hi all.
After researching this site for most of this year, since my son suggested I build an oven, I have pretty much decided to proceed with the build. So much so that I got out my circular saw measured the area to cut out in my deck and proceeded to cut it out. Engineering of the slab will be tricky as I have 2 bearers 1170 apart. I cannot cut these out so have to construct a 1250 * 1400 slab cantilevered over the bearers and deck to get the width.

I have a friend that is a fitter and turner who has fabricated an IT and I have acquired a brick saw (brand new 16") for $200 but without a brick tray. Same friend is going to fabricate one for me hopefully a compound mitre tray.

I wish to thank benguilford for the advice he has provided so far with a couple of calls I have made. Also to the rest of you that have provided all the valuable information you have on this site. I will post some photos and build ideas soon. Planning a 1metre oven dome, in a Japanese style garden.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-16-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:30 PM
Serf

Default Re: new build in werribee

Mate, where abouts in Werribee, I'm building a 40" corner in Manor Lakes.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Serf

...and if you want some rebar/reo mesh I have some left over.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Master Builder

I live about a kilometer west from the plaza. In a street of the back of Bethany primary school. I was going to do a 42" but have settled on the same size as you 40". Might take you up on that if you don't need it. Where are you up to with your build?

Cheers Colin
Old 08-21-2012, 03:47 AM
Master Builder

Here are photos of the site, IT and the garden. Oh and the first stage cut out the deck. I have to construct a blue board wall behind the oven before forming the slab. Not sure if I will pour the slab in one or two pours as I need to cantilever it over the deck. Getting the form work out will be impossible if poured in one go.
Attached Thumbnails
new build in werribee-imag0218.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0222.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0219.jpg   new build in werribee-imag0349.jpg  
Old 08-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Master Builder

Thanks vanaantour. I live in a street behind Bethany primary school about 1.5km from the plaza, near the river. Thank you for the offer of the rebar etc if you have no need be happy up on your offer. How far advanced are you with your build?

Mine will take a while but hoping to have it finished around April next year.

Cheers Colin
Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Master Builder

Sorry vanoontour correct spelling now.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 AM
Master Builder

My intentions with the build are to 1metre Pompeii oven
Purchase oven materials from Melbourne Fire Brick Company. Ben has been of great help.

Once slab is constructed 1100*1400

I Will be building a Hebel block base frame
On top of that a cantilevered Hebel power fence panel (double reinforced) 1400*1600 hearth. With steel lintel and frame to support the cantilevered hearth.

50 mm calcium silicate board
65 mm fire brick tiles

The base will be constructed so that the oven effectively sits on top of the base walls i.e. the oven walls are on top of the base walls. Insulation and rendered finish will be outside the base walls.

Be interested to know if I have missed anything?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 AM
Master Builder

One adjustment to previous post. The slab will be cantilevered above the deck. The dimensions above are for the bottom of the slab. The base will be 1400*1400. Concrete will be 50 mm above the deck and 125 mm thick. Will post some drawings later.

Colin
Old 08-21-2012, 04:25 AM
Master Builder

welcome oasiscdm

sounds like the base might be tight, then again post some pics so we get a better idea.

insulation under the floor is a good start

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.