Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Serf

Default New build Gold Coast Hinterland

G'day,
Have been wanting to make a WFO for years, found out about this site from AHB(beer forum) about a year or so ago.
Planning an oven on my deck so need to build some serious structural support before starting. Got a few projects running so it's not going to be the fastest build. Hopefully get some pointers on suppliers @ Brisbane/Gold Coast when I start.
Have been reading a few of the builds around here and pretty high standards, got my head spinning a bit, getting hungry reading about them.
Cheers
Sean
Old 03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: New build Gold Coast Hinterland

Hi Sean

Welcome aboard. Have noticed you are looking to building on your deck. I had a similar challenge. Check my build out as i had to do similar as the oven was an afterthought rather than a forethought. It was quite tricky as you will see as I had to build the slab around bearers and the over the exisiting deck to get the width i needed in the base to use Hebel instead of Bessa blocks.

You can also check out 'Ben's build in Berwick' he did similar but different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Master Builder

Cool Re: New build Gold Coast Hinterland

Sean,
Welcome aboard.
AHB, so I take it beer brewing is one of your many hobbies as mine. The Home brewed beer goes good after a hard days work on the WFO, Gives you time admire your labors of love.
Look foward to following your post

KB
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:12 PM
Serf

Thanks fellas, more reading to do, wealth of info here.
My old deck is pretty well had it so need to do some serious work on it. Thought this is a good opportunity to put an oven in and also move my 4 tap kedgerator up onto the deck so I don't have to go downstairs for a beer , although the exercise wouldn't hurt. Working on a plan of attack.
cheers
sean
Old 03-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Master Builder

Cool Re: New build Gold Coast Hinterland

Here's to the fruits of our labors.

Cream Ale: Listermannsí brew supplies, Cincinnati, Ohio
Attached Thumbnails
New build Gold Coast Hinterland-sspx0116.jpg  

KB

Old 03-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbartman View Post
Here's to the fruits of our labors.

Cream Ale: Listermannsí brew supplies, Cincinnati, Ohio
Must be your shout then.....

Old 06-06-2014, 02:01 AM
Serf

Decided in the end to pull the old deck down and build a new bigger deck and also to put a roof over the whole thing. Got @ 42m2 of deck now with @ 65m2 of roof which is good as we are on tank water. The deck is L shaped and will be putting an outdoor kitchen along the 8.5m side with an open fireplace in the corner.
Bought myself a welder and started to melt holes in metal and sometimes actually weld bits together. After a practice run welding up a new chook house and a few other odd jobs about the place decided to start on the deck. Tig welding the SS balustrade was a bit nicer than Mig welding the WFO support, especially the upside down bits .
As the deck is on the first level of the house , and we have an inside fireplace too, I decided to put an electric gantry in to bring up the firewood. Have used it already bringing the firebricks up, heaps easier.
The base is Hebel 75mm panel . I used hebel adhesive to set down 65mm thick ceramic board and cut out the bricks ( 75mm thick) for the oven floor today.
The oven will be 1000mm and be finished as a rendered igloo type. To maximize deck space I've built the oven out the side of the deck ( also allowing space for the gantry ) The roof overhangs the deck all the way around and the kitchen side is opposite the normal prevailing weather side as well. )
Going to Brissy for the weekend with friends to watch the wobblies take on the frogs tomorrow night so no building this weekend.

Some piccies :
New build Gold Coast Hinterland-img_3562.jpg
Frame from in front
New build Gold Coast Hinterland-img_3564.jpg
Outside looking from front
New build Gold Coast Hinterland-img_3565.jpg
Outside looking from back
New build Gold Coast Hinterland-img_3567.jpg
Hoisting up some bricks
New build Gold Coast Hinterland-img_3572.jpg
Looking out the front, open fireplace will be in corner.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Serious metal structure work. I take it you not just a weekend welder. By the looks of the materials I am seeing what you Aussies call hebel for the support, then insulating fire brick then standard fire brick on top. Nice start, and neat little electric gantry.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 06-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi seamad

Glad to see another Hebel build. Beginning to think that the few of us that have used it in our builds is getting rarer. Wish you were in Melbourne need someone to show me how to tig weld so I can finish my door. But then again I haven't arc or mig welded either.

How big is the hearth? in the photos doesn't look big enough in photos but probably just an illusion.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-06-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:14 PM
Serf

Russell, I'm very much a weekend welder, only bought the welder 12 months ago, too hard to do it for a living.
Colin, the hearth frame does look small in the photo, however it's 1750 long and 1450 wide, with the back cut out in a radius so when I finish I'll render the dome and hebel base as one.
The hebel overhangs the frame at the rear a little, but the frame is under the heavier brick part so shouldn't be a problem.
As far as tig welding goes you wouldn't want me as a teacher, I'm very much a novice. It's a good excuse to get another toy/tool. I bought a weldmaster mig/tig/stick machine and watched a few utube videos and started practicing. Amazing what you can learn from the interwebs if you can get past a lot of the misinformation.