Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Apprentice

Default need help acquiring DIY mortar mix ingredients

Hi Guys and girls.
I will be starting my oven in a few months and I'm in the process of acquiring material and finding suppliers for materials I will need.
I want to look into the DIY mortar mix but see I need Portland cement, fireclay and preferably silca sand.
I was at a refractory supplier the other day getting a few bricks and some silica board when I mentioned I might try my own mortar mix.
They were selling mortar bags for $49 each and a fundu cement in a tub for $49. I asked if they sold fireclay and the guy had no idea what I was on about.
So firstly to the aussie guys/girls who have made their own mortar what did you use and if in Melbourne where did you get it from.
Also I see Portland cement mentioned a lot as the stuff to use. Can we get it here in Melbourne (Bunnings didn't have it) and if not what substitute can be used. Lastly what sand was used in the mix I was reading silica sand is the preferred choice, any thoughts on that.

Thanks.. Oscar
Old 11-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: need help acquiring DIY mortar mix ingredients

Just found this which I'm sure will be of benefit for some.

http://www.cement.com.au/Images/BCSC...Jan%202006.pdf
Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You actually talked to someone in Bunnings? what were you thinking?
Im sure they didnt know what Portland cement was, they employ the unemployable.

GP (general purpose) cement is Portland, its the same.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:38 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Brickie, I was actually looking for cement with Portland written on it at Bunnings.
I thought Portland was a company brand name for a special type of cement called Portland.
Well that makes things a lot easier.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Portland is a coastal town in England, the cement was named Portland as it resembled the Portland stone.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: need help acquiring DIY mortar mix ingredients

Hi OscarA and welcome aboard.
great to see another Aussie come on board.I used the home brew and am wrapped with the results when compared to the cracks from those who used the expensive refractory adhesives.
I used plain old brickie sand in the mix and used the ratio of 1:1:1:3, Portland cement, fireclay, quicklime and sand.
Thermal Ceramics sell (or used to sell) fireclay but you will need less than a 20kg bag for your oven.
The portland cement could be available in either of 2 mixes, a straight portland (usually a bit more expensive) or a blended mix which has flyash (the ash from coal burning power stations) in it.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1

Neill’s kitchen underway

Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
or a blended mix which has flyash (the ash from coal burning power stations) in it.

AKA....... GB, or General Builders cement.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:48 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Neill and Brickie in oz

I've been looking at pottery supply places this morning on the net and it looks like a place down the road sells fireclay for $27 in 25kg bags. They also sell Silica sand for $11 in 5kg bags or $22 for larger bags probably 20-25kgs.
Don't know if this is an overkill as Neill said he never bothered but if it helps I'll probably get it.
Slowly getting there but I'm in no rush as I want to do this right.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarA View Post
Hi Guys and girls.
I will be starting my oven in a few months and I'm in the process of acquiring material and finding suppliers for materials I will need.
I want to look into the DIY mortar mix but see I need Portland cement, fireclay and preferably silca sand.
I was at a refractory supplier the other day getting a few bricks and some silica board when I mentioned I might try my own mortar mix.
They were selling mortar bags for $49 each and a fundu cement in a tub for $49. I asked if they sold fireclay and the guy had no idea what I was on about.
So firstly to the aussie guys/girls who have made their own mortar what did you use and if in Melbourne where did you get it from.
Also I see Portland cement mentioned a lot as the stuff to use. Can we get it here in Melbourne (Bunnings didn't have it) and if not what substitute can be used. Lastly what sand was used in the mix I was reading silica sand is the preferred choice, any thoughts on that.

Thanks.. Oscar
Oscar, give me a call on 0451 470371, I can supply all your mortar requirements.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah give John a ring, he knows his stuff..