Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 03:58 AM
Peasant

Default Making my own tools

Hi All

Decided to make my own tools after the initial ones got a bit burnt! They were the cheap type but were good to use while I got used to the oven.

Basically some stainless steel offcuts from Paramount Browns (Adelaide) and handles from Bunnings. As usual used this site to see what others have made and mixed this in with my limited experience so far.

The stainless cut pretty easy with a grinder with a stainless steel cutting wheel. Timber is stained and oiled. Didn't finish putting all the heads on as I blunted a couple of drills drilling the holes for the bolts, even though they were supposed to be for stainless steel!

I have posted a pic of the initial cuts before I started the bending. I will post other pics in the thread as it doesn't appear I can put in multiple pics from my IPAD.
Attached Thumbnails
Making my own tools-image.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 04:00 AM
Peasant

Default Re: Making my own tools

Some more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Old 07-07-2013, 04:02 AM
Peasant

Sorry another pic!
Attached Thumbnails
oasiscdm likes this.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Chaz

They look great. For a grand total of not a lot $.

Can I ask you too label them not sure what some of those tools are used for.

I had a similar idea when I went to a fabricators the other day. He gave me some off cuts of SS so I could work out the outer duct finish. Me thinks !!!!!! I could make my own tools with offcuts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice work Chas. what thickness SS did you use?
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice collection of pizza weapons. Going to copy your rake...........

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 AM
Peasant

Thanks Colin,

The tools are basically the usual ones every one has. Maybe the different tools are the longer curved one which is really for moving the coal/fire around. I will use this to move the fire to the left when cooking pizzas, which I find works better for me. I will use the rake when I want to push the fire to the back which I find better for roasting.

The other different one is like a cement trowel. It's on a smaller handle and will likely use when I am baking or want to "prod" the fire while nearer to the door. Otherwise will use the longer handled round peel to move pizzas around.

I only had the square peel and found it difficult to move pizzas around when I had up to 4 in the oven. Hopefully the combination of the trowel and the round peel will help me manage this better.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:13 AM
Peasant

Hi David

Most of the S/S thickness offcuts had 1.5mm written on them. There was a 2.5mm piece which I initially cut for the square peel but it was too heavy and no way that I could bend it ( as I bent everything by hand with a little bit of assistance from a rubber mallet!). Maybe if I was built like Arnie!

The 1.5mm seems to be pretty strong and ok for weight.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 AM
Peasant

Thanks Russell

Well you wouldn't be copying from me as a copied from others on the site!

Yes they do look like weapons. One of my sons thought i was making a spear when he saw the pointy tool. Also showed some people a work and they initially thought I made some surgery tools!

I have most probably gone overboard and may not use all the tools regularly but I guess I it's there just in case! It's like the whole WFO thing. Once you start it gets a bit addictive!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Making my own tools

Hi Chas,
as a fellow Adelaidian, I am interested in your brush.
I found several natural fibre bannister brushes for the sweeping of the hearth floor but they only last for around a dozen sweepings before they are gone. No they are not synthetic, nylon or similar but my hearths are over 500˚C when I start cooking pizzas and the fibres start to burn. I am often putting out the burning ones before they disappear.
How is your broom standing up to the task, what type is it and where did you find it?

Quote:
Basically some stainless steel offcuts from Paramount Browns
Paramount Browns used to be great for those special offcut purchases, but since they have cleaned out their factory, I have't seen their stainless selection, only their aluminium stocks.
I use a stainless steel fabricator in Edwardstown, Chapman Fabrications for all my stainless requirements, it's amazing what scraps you buy with folding!
They are not only great with pricing but also very abliging with services.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway