Old 10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Laborer

Default Inner arch dimensions

Hi.

I am building a new 1000mm (42") wood fired oven and have a question about the size of the inner arch opening. I am currently planning it to be 520mm (21.6") wide. My previous oven was 480mm (20") but I would like the extra space to get things in and out.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jase
Old 10-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Inner arch dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzahead View Post
Hi.

I am building a new 1000mm (42") wood fired oven and have a question about the size of the inner arch opening. I am currently planning it to be 520mm (21.6") wide. My previous oven was 480mm (20") but I would like the extra space to get things in and out.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jase
Mine is 21.5 inches wide and 13.5 inches tall with a 10 inch flue and 42 inch diameter oven, hemispherical entry. Breathes very well no smoke out the entry. I think you are right on target.

Chip
Old 11-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Laborer

Thanks Chip.

I set up the arch last night and had a look. I reckon it is a bit too large so have pulled it back in size a wee bit.

I think it will still retain heat well and also draw nicely.

Fingers crossed.

Jase
Old 11-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
You could always use a blast door to retain the heat while the fire in the oven and keep the entrance big

Regards Dave
Old 11-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Journeyman

Just make sure that the entry is far enough into the dome so you don't end up with a teardrop. Draw it up, make a couple of cardboard cut outs. Once you start it you have to roll with how the build progresses.

Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Serf

Question Re: Inner arch dimensions

Hi,

I am at the same stage of trying to get my mind around the entry arch.

I presume that the inner end of the entry arch bricks actually reach into the oven slightly at the base. Also how important is blending the inner top of the arch, does this affect smoke flow significantly or not? My guess is that some intrusion at the base would tend to direct exhaust gases upwards?

Dave Ly
Old 11-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lyons View Post
Hi,

I am at the same stage of trying to get my mind around the entry arch.

I presume that the inner end of the entry arch bricks actually reach into the oven slightly at the base. Also how important is blending the inner top of the arch, does this affect smoke flow significantly or not? My guess is that some intrusion at the base would tend to direct exhaust gases upwards?

Dave Ly
Read the post "Octoforno" I believe this is one of the better ways to build an inner arch. My post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" also follows this technique and it makes for a much easier transition dome to inner arch.

Several others have used this technique and credit goes to those who developed it.

Chip
Old 11-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Serf

Hi Chip,

Thanks muchly for the direction, that is information I knew would be in here somewhere but old farts like me find it daunting to find the way around these sites at first.

Regards

Dave Ly