Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Peasant

Default Fire Danger Season

Hi,

Just wondering how people handle the fire danger season with their ovens, in particular on Total Fire Ban days?

I'm based in Glengowrie, SA which comes under the Marion City Council. In SA, the CFS declares total fire ban days in various regions. According to the CFS website on a total fire ban day you cannot run "A solid fuel burning webber-style bbq cannot be used unless you obtain a Schedule 10 permit from your local council." which seems to be the closest thing they have to a wood fired oven. Speaking to the CFS about it they didn't have much advice, just saying a WFO wouldn't be allowed but when I pointed out the various WFO resteraunts (though they no doubt have more advanced flue systems?) he wasn't sure and referred me to my council.

I contacted the council who also weren't sure and said it was all handled by the CFS, but when I said the CFS sent me to them, they said they'll pass on my enquiry. I've asked them about obtaining a schedule 10 permit for certain days (for example xmas day) where we will want to run the oven, and there's a chance it may end up being a total fire ban day.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Fire Danger Season

I cant see it being any bigger of a problem than a gas bbq as the fire is contained, or non existent when you cook.
You would have a hose close by seeing as its at your house?

If you are really concerned incorporate a spark arrester into the chimney.

The other thing is, if its a declared day they are generally just to uncomfortable to be near a hot pizza oven anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Fire Danger Season

I had the same predicament and asked both my daughter and son-in-law who were both active CFS members. They couldn't answer the same question so phoned the district supervisor who also had no definitive answer. They chased it up with head office and even today, (2 years down the track), I am still in the dark with no answer!
I am around 10 houses from the Sturt George reserve so decided not to rock the boat and not light the oven.
I suggest that you (as being well away from fire prone areas) emailing the council, CFS, Fire brigade and anyone else that you can think of and keep their response as evidence just in case the police or CFS or council decide to prosecute you.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Peasant

Cheers for all the feedback. I was about to email them as you suggested since I hadn't heard yet, but then they called.

The council initially wasn't, but now are going to issue me with a schedule 10 permit that will last the whole fire danger season. There are some conditions with it, I'll find out when I go in to sign the paperwork on friday.

My fiancee's father happens to be a fire safety expert for the state government, so I'm hoping that he can help me out with any of the conditions.

I'm not likely to run it during a total fire ban day anyway, unless it is a special occasion such as xmas, new years or my birthday (January).

I'll report back on friday..
Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Serf

If its a total fire ban day in WA, you are not allowed fires including wood fired ovens.

FESA have a website that you can look up for total fire bans. Here is the link as it may be useful to others in WA.

https://internet.fesa.wa.gov.au/tota...lFireBans.aspx

Hope this helps.

John
Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 AM
Serf

Hi guys, just wondering how it all went with the fire ban issue in Adelaide. Have just finished building my WFO and am looking at curing some time soon. I have the CFS guy coming out next week but would like a bit of background info on the issue.

Cheers.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 AM
Peasant

Sorry, I should have updated this;

The council received advice from the CFS that they could give me a schedule 10 permit, under certain conditions: That the fire be 4 meters from anything flammable, the flue is fitted with a spark arrestor ($3 from BBQ's galore!), a fire extinguisher or pressured hose is available, that the fire is monitored by someone responsible, and if in a CFS area, I advise them beforehand. Since I'm in an MFS area not CFS, that last one is not an issue.

The council issued the permit for the whole fire season, and it didn't cost anything either. So far, we haven't had any total fire bans declared in Adelaide itself either (that I am aware of) - NYE looked like it might happen, but didn't - I was glad I had it though, since I had a Pizza party.

<Edit> Having just looked up Hope Forest since I hadn't heard of it, what is the area around your oven like? Are you sure you should be running an oven in such a scrubby area on a total fire ban day? Maybe aim for a Schedule 9?

Last edited by NathanC; 01-14-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Serf

Thanx for the reply. I have the oven 4m from the house and we are on top of the range so quite wet here compared to the surrounding areas. I wasn't thinking of total fire ban days, just want to run it through the fire danger season(dec to april)

I'm going for an insulating blanket and render so the dome should be set, and am also looking at building a stainless mesh door to put in place while firing the oven.

My chimney will be brick and am going to incorporate a spark arrestor in the top. What was the one from bbq galore like?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Serf

Thanx for the reply. I have the oven 4m from the house and we are on top of the range so quite wet here compared to the surrounding areas. I wasn't thinking of total fire ban days, just want to run it through the fire danger season(dec to april)

I'm going for an insulating blanket and render so the dome should be set, and am also looking at building a stainless mesh door to put in place while firing the oven.

My chimney will be brick and am going to incorporate a spark arrestor in the top. What was the one from bbq galore like?
Old 01-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Laborer

Has any one done a mesh spark arrestor i'm sure a couple of these nested should greatly reduce the fire risk.