Old 02-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Serf

Default Cob oven Bathurst

Hi this my first oven build and I am going to to use technology 1000s of years old .My problem is the latest technology ie down loading photos onto my computer and then posting them where I want .I will get some help from a younger friend soon.
I have laid a pad of decomposed granite ,built a heavy timber stand,and laid a layer of bear bottles covered in a sawdust clay slip mix .Next is a layer of sand then bricks .And then finally I get to start on the dome
cheers
Marty
Old 02-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cob oven Bathurst

Gudday madKW
You may be building an old school oven but there's no use in discarding some of the new school stuff that cheap and available now. I'm sure those Romans would have.
5 to 1 Pealite and Portland cement will give you an excellent floor insulation, 8 to 1 pealite to Portland cement over the dome will do. Pearlite cheap and available.
I would have built a clay dome at the start but due to the oven having to be located far enough from the house ( a 2 storey Queenslander) for smoke not to be a problem. And the problem of high humidity summers and storms. I decided against it. The domes is firebrick but brick biulster cut. The rest of the base and cover is recycled salvage and swap. Took me a while, the neighbors think I'm nuts but except pizza quite readily,
Enjoy the journey
Regards dave
When I can get on a working computer not this phone I give you a link to a cob oven in QLD that wil interest you I'm sure

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Journeyman

Hope you drank the beer first.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Serf

Its a rotten job and I got to share it with my mates
Old 02-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Journeyman

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

So is the dome made of fire bricks?
Old 02-04-2014, 04:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

G'day Mad
Link I promised to a cool cob oven

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f43/...html#post88624 (Clay Oven on Verandah)

Regards Dave

My Build

My Door