Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 05:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Cheap fire bricks for sale!

To all those oven builders within Australia looking for cheap firebricks, see:

Refractory/Fire Bricks x200, for fireplace oven or kiln | eBay

and also in Queensland:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fire-Bricks-b...item41591184c8

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nissanneill; 04-30-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Cheap fire bricks for sale!

Id have to be 100% sure of where the used firebricks came from just in case the were loaded with some nasty that will leach out with each firing.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Cheap fire bricks for sale!

No worries with the ones from Queensland brickie,

Quote:
Genuine fire bricks brand new. Quite a few of the slant variety.
At a starting bid of 99c each and around 30000 available, an opportunity for everyone wanting to build an oven.
Even I would buy 1000 if the freight was at the right price!

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Last edited by nissanneill; 05-01-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:48 PM
Journeyman

I have a container of new firebricks in my warehouse. They are standard size, 230x115x75 and are 40% alumina, can sell for $2:50 each + GST, in full pallet lots of 320pcs. This would be a much safer way to buy, offer only lasts for this container lot.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Peasant

Howdy,

Been trying to decide whta brick to use, being in Canberra the Canberra Reds seem to be the go for the cheap option... Just saw these on ebay though and was wondering if someone could tell me if they are any good...

"Vermiculite 20 pack fire insulator bricks pizza oven/fireplace 230 x110 x 29mm"

Can't find any info on there about Alumina content etc...

Cheers,

Tim
Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Tim,
usually red bricks are merely fired clay and are not necessarily refractory bricks. I assume that they have holes through their centres which indicate their house construction use. Some members have used these with some success BUT you need to ensure that they are suitable and will not break down/spawl with the heating/cooling that you will subject them to. The next oven I build will have fired clay solid clay paving bricks, cut in halves but they are fired at 1200˚C and although not as good as firebricks, will serve the oven well. Many ovens over here are made with them and they are performing well.
Hit your planned bricks hard with a sledge hammer and check out the bits that it breaks into. If it crumbles into small pieces and sand/dust, forget them, but if they break into hard but larger pieces, then i would use them.

Good luck,

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 AM
Peasant

Thanks Neill,

I believe the 'Canberra Reds' that people have been using are the Authentic Fired clay variety, I'm not sure but I don't think they make them anymore but there are still plenty lying around from old demolished houses etc in Canberra, but I shall do as you say and get the old sledge out...

Any word on those bricks floating about on ebay that I mentioned earlier?

Cheers,

Tim.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Laborer

HI Tim,

The Vermiculite bricks you mentioned are insulating bricks, not firebricks. As stated in the ebay add - "Excellent insulator for your PIZZA OVEN, FIREPLACE OR WOOD FIRED HEATER"

They would be suitable for under the hearth of your oven , but not to be used to build the actual oven from.

Regards,
BRuno
Old 07-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"Hit your planned bricks hard with a sledge hammer and check out the bits that it breaks into. If it crumbles into small pieces and sand/dust, forget them, but if they break into hard but larger pieces, then i would use them."

Neill,
This is not a particularly good test for the refractory suitability of a brick. For example an insulating fire brick which is highly refractory crumbles easily and a standard firebrick is usually more crumbly than a solid red, although it way out performs it. Also the temperature the brick has been fired to is also not a suitable indicator of its refractory ability. It is the content of the materials in the brick that is the most important factor, things like high levels of fluxes, and oxides are not good and they are extremely difficult for the layman to test.

Last edited by david s; 08-17-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes David but we are talking apples and oranges really.
People who cannot afford the high price of the ideal refractory products should be able to determine the alternatives and how to decide which work/last better/longer than others. Too often I see people who are misinformed and build with totally unsuitable bricks.

Neill

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway