Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Apprentice

Default blue gum suitable?

is blue gum ok to use in WFO?

search only returns 1 mention of this type of wood

also while i'm here asking, what do i want to avoid at all cost when looking for firewood that could mess up my oven
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: blue gum suitable?

Gudday
Blue gums alright. As most Australian wood is Only woods that I Never Use is Silky Oak even the sawdust is dangerous much less burning it . I tend not to use swamp woods either.
Regards dave
CrocAu likes this.

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Blue gums alright. As most Australian wood is Only woods that I Never Use is Silky Oak even the sawdust is dangerous much less burning it . I tend not to use swamp woods either.
Regards dave
Im not sure if the irritant dust of some species if a concern when burning the timber?
Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon)is another irritant.
CrocAu likes this.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 AM
Master Builder

Most Australian timber is fine. Fine sawdust from anything will cause irritation and I was always told to avoid Black Bean as the dust was carcinogenic. That may or may not be right but there is local lore wherever you go.

The attached link has a table at the bottom that shows some timbers and the effects of various parts of them. It is a Tasmanian site but many of the timbers mentioned are widespread. Worth a look.

http://www.tastimber.tas.gov.au/spec...rialSafety.pdf
SpottedFrog and CrocAu like this.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Apprentice

thanks everyone for posting the info
Old 07-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post

The attached link has a table at the bottom that shows some timbers and the effects of various parts of them. It is a Tasmanian site but many of the timbers mentioned are widespread. Worth a look.
Its a fairly vague list, ie, eucalyptus? Considering there are around 500 different types of euc.....

Old 07-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Im not sure if the irritant dust of some species if a concern when burning the timber?
Blackwood (Acacia melanoxylon)is another irritant.
Pretty sure grevillia have cyanide in them.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I knew there was a list out there somewhere, I searched for it last night but couldnt find it, here it is.

http://www.ubeaut.com.au/woodstuf.htm

Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalCoasting View Post
Pretty sure grevillia have cyanide in them.
Great topic I must say....

It appears its just the flowers that are toxic.
Grevillea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-01-2013, 06:16 AM
Master Builder

It doesn't matter where we go or what we do there is something lurking out there just waiting to inflict a pitiful slow painful excruciating malaise up on us.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics