#1  
Old 12-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Serf
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 8
Default Another new build in Adelaide

Hi all, Started the build some months ago but now getting serious. Made the base from large limestone blocks with a concrete slab on top. Also laid a 75 mm slab of perlite/ cement insulation layer. Purchased the firebricks locally and now deciding whether to lay the floor first or soldier the first layer and then cut the floor bricks to suit. Can someone let me know if you need to use a bedding mortar under the floor bricks. Also interested to know if anyone has been able to find a supplier of fire clay in Adelaide.
Will start taking pictures of build in future.
cheers
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Harriott Its very unusual you have had no response.

So welcome to the forum.

Floor bricks are usually layed first on a screeded bed of sand and fire clay so that it can float. Soldier or sailor goes on or around is a decision you will need to make. Mine runs around with about a 5mm gap to allow for expansion.

I wouldn't lay the soldier first makes the floor very awkward.

Apparently Claypave sell bags of fire clay you will need only one bag well at least that's what I have used I used Alumina high temp cement sand and fireclay. I wanted to stick with all refractory products, most on here use the Home brew mortar.

Again some photos are always useful to assistance so when you can would love to see the photo's of the progress so far.
__________________
Cheers Colin

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-09-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM
Serf
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 8
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Harriott Its very unusual you have had no response.

So welcome to the forum.

Floor bricks are usually layed first on a screeded bed of sand and fire clay so that it can float. Soldier or sailor goes on or around is a decision you will need to make. Mine runs around with about a 5mm gap to allow for expansion.

I wouldn't lay the soldier first makes the floor very awkward.

Apparently Claypave sell bags of fire clay you will need only one bag well at least that's what I have used I used Alumina high temp cement sand and fireclay. I wanted to stick with all refractory products, most on here use the Home brew mortar.

Again some photos are always useful to assistance so when you can would love to see the photo's of the progress so far.
Thanks for the reply.
Can you tell me if its best to lay first layer directly on the base or start the first layer on top of the fire brick floor. I did intend starting the first layer directly on the insulated layer floor and then cutting in the floor to suit. I assume you would need to mortar the first layer but leave the cut in floor floating. To secure the first row of soldier bricks I will also secure with another surrounding 75mm layer of perlite cement.
Will start sending photo as soon as I work out how
Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GREENHILL SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Posts: 111
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Hello Harriott,

Welcome.

I purchased my fireclay from Littlehampton Brick.

I used a thin layer of fireclay under the floor bricks as that had been screeded level with the bricks laid on top. Moisture helps set the clay holding the bricks in place. I have not had an issue, the bricks have stayed level and have not moved noticeably.

I laid the first course of dome on top of floor which I believe allows for better expansion as the dome "floats" on the floor. I have not had any cracking in my dome or floor.

Good Luck

Craig
__________________
"All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
The Pirate Captain
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2013, 02:16 AM
Laborer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Semaphore, South Australia
Posts: 86
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Hi Harriott

Welcome to the forum, lots of good info and help available, do a bit of research on the different builds and pick and choose the ideas which click. I think there is many ways to skin a cat (UtahBeehiver quote).

I laid dome bricks on top of floor bricks, the floor bricks were laid on refactory castable (25mm heat bank) then calsil board (50mm) which had a layer of aluminium foil on top to prevent castable moisture soaking into calsil.
The floor bricks were mortared with notched trowel on the castable with homebrew,
2 parts Refactory Mortar
2 parts fine sand (Drypak)
1 part Brightonlite HE cement
1 part lime
No cracks or problems with dome & floor to date.
__________________
Liteceeper
~~~~~~~
My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2013, 02:42 AM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteceeper View Post
Hi Harriott

Welcome to the forum, lots of good info and help available, do a bit of research on the different builds and pick and choose the ideas which click. I think there is many ways to skin a cat (UtahBeehiver quote).

I laid dome bricks on top of floor bricks, the floor bricks were laid on refactory castable (25mm heat bank) then calsil board (50mm) which had a layer of aluminium foil on top to prevent castable moisture soaking into calsil.
The floor bricks were mortared with notched trowel on the castable with homebrew,
2 parts Refactory Mortar
2 parts fine sand (Drypak)
1 part Brightonlite HE cement
1 part lime
No cracks or problems with dome & floor to date.
Need some clarification Anthony.

2 parts refactory mortar and I part Brightonlite HE cement that's a lot of cement?. or do you mean 2 parts fire clay [instead of refactory mortar]. Did you actually permanently fasten your floor to the base. Always thought it was meant to float.
__________________
Cheers Colin

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2013, 04:00 AM
Laborer
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Semaphore, South Australia
Posts: 86
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasiscdm View Post
Need some clarification Anthony.

2 parts refactory mortar and I part Brightonlite HE cement that's a lot of cement?. or do you mean 2 parts fire clay [instead of refactory mortar]. Did you actually permanently fasten your floor to the base. Always thought it was meant to float.
Same mix as used to build oven, float or not to float that is the question.
Not sure, but I guess all floors move with the heat / cool cycles whether floating or initially fixed.
Probably stirring up a hornet's nest.
__________________
Liteceeper
~~~~~~~
My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
A reminder that the forum has asked members not to discuss gas burners because of safety concerns.
Posted that on the wrong thread.

removed word burner from the post.
__________________
Cheers Colin

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-10-2013, 04:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteceeper View Post
Same mix as used to build oven, float or not to float that is the question.
Not sure, but I guess all floors move with the heat / cool cycles whether floating or initially fixed.
Probably stirring up a hornet's nest.
Anthony

my confusion was around the refractory mortar and HE cement. Is the Refractory mortar actually fire clay? because in the description of your mix there was no fire clay just 2 lots of cement.

I thought about mortaring the floor in place but having spoken to a number of forno experts went the floating route as most others have. Be interested how yours goes over time.
__________________
Cheers Colin

My Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Serf
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 8
Default Re: Another new build in Adelaide

Have shown some of the pictures taken to show were I am at with the build.
Pic 1 stand made of lime stone blocks and two rows of clay bricks used as part of the front shelf.
Pic 2 showing stand with the 75 mm perlite slab.
Pic 3 temp setup on ground around 900 mm wooden template (using 75/60 tapered fire bricks)
Pic 4 different angle.
Pic 5 template of front arch.
Pic 6 Temp placement of fire brick floor
Pic 7 side shot of temp placement
Pic 8 Marked bricks ready to cut.
Once this has been done I think I will soldier the first layer around circumference leaving 2 mm gap between.
Attached Thumbnails
Another new build in Adelaide-dsc_3495.jpg   Another new build in Adelaide-dsc_3496.jpg   Another new build in Adelaide-dsc_3497.jpg   Another new build in Adelaide-dsc_3498.jpg   Another new build in Adelaide-dsc_3499.jpg  

Another new build in Adelaide-dsc_3500.jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yes! Another oven build in Adelaide.. BackToMyRoots Australia 21 05-06-2013 04:20 AM
Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice Robd Australia 19 02-07-2013 03:03 PM
Adelaide, Australia build marksidz Brick Oven Photos 1 01-01-2013 02:58 AM
Oven Build In Central Alabama MetalHead Pompeii Oven Construction 80 08-06-2012 06:04 PM
Pensacola Build rodeair Pompeii Oven Construction 58 03-18-2012 08:52 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC