Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Australia

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Laborer

Default 36inch build in Redlands

Been thinking about this for a while now and have finally decided to take on this project. Gathered my fire bricks first (43% alumina but at the right price). Picked up a mixer and brick saw second hand pretty cheap and hope to sell them when I'm done and get most of my money back. Next decided on a spot and that just happened to be where a golden cane palm was. 3 days digging later, the palm is now gone. No mucking around and boxed and poured the foundation slab, starter bars in place. Again, no mucking around and a week later, I have my blocks layed, core filled, and all my steel reinforcing in place, ready for my top slab. I think a tank would bounce off this thing. Now I have a question about the insulation layer above the top slab and beneath the floor tiles. Will it hurt to recess this to be level with the slab height. I'm trying to achieve as little a step up into the oven as I can but am concerned about it filling up with water if it rains. I was planning to recess the insulating bricks into the slab or build up a second floor layer around it. Just concerned about it becoming a swimming pool when it rains. Thanks for reading.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-017.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-025.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-032.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-041.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 36inch build in Redlands

HI Stevo

plenaty have done what you suggest check out this thread.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html (A newbies survey of the Forno Bravo treasures hiding in the archives)

I cannot remmber the builds but am sure one or two have done what you suggest in the list provided on this thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
I built the insulation layer then the built the floor up to level . I have to be very aware of impending rain and cover the hearth at the entrance because any rain on it and the waters down between the bricks and straight into that insulation. The swimming pool effect as you discribed
Another built we built we made a ring of brick, same size as the complete oven weep holes on the bottom layer then filled with insulation. That seems to work alright. Although I would say that ovens hearth will suck up rain just as fast but tends to dry out faster
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-08-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:24 AM
Laborer

After looking at some other threads, looks like maybe the weep holes are a good idea. Other people recommend venting the insulation layer so I might do that. Mortar common bricks down to the hearth slab, around the insulating bricks to build it up to the same level, and leave a thin tunnel to the outside on each side of the block base. Then my plan is to use thick paver tiles over the bricks and get a nicely finished top that is only slightly lower than the floor tiles in the oven. Sound do-able?
Old 05-15-2013, 02:14 PM
Laborer

Can anybody say wether or not it will be ok to use common house bricks for the outside of the vent. Inner arch will be fire bricks but I want an ornamental brick on the outside arch. So fire bricks for the inner arch and under the flu and an arch of house bricks outside of that. Will that work? Thanks Colin and Dave for your advice earlier. Will post some more pics of progress soon.

Last edited by stevo70; 05-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can use common brick on the vent. I separated mine from the firebrick and filled the gap in with vermiculite/portland mix. When you are going vertical with the commons you will get some isolation by default - should be no problem.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: 36inch build in Redlands

Gudday
Yes good as gold... Mines survived 2 yrs now. You have to admit firebricks are very bland. Check out VWiz oven in the photo section. Very inspiring!

Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 05-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Laborer

Ok Thanks, Off to Rochedale bricks to see what they can sell me... Bought a mixer and brick saw second hand and started thinking about some tools that would make the job easier. Printed a picture off the net of a tool that attaches to the saw for chamfering edges, arch bricks etc. Went on night shift and cut all the steel pieces I needed to make one myself and put it all together at home (copying the picture). Turned out better than a bought one. Also made a straight or angled support and while the Mig was out, knocked up an 18" indispensable tool as well. Good tools help to make a good job and I'm really happy with how these will all work.
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-028.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0535.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0537.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0539.jpg  
Old 05-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good tools do make good job. Looks like you can weld. Good luck on your build.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 05-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Laborer

Busy past few days, had the week off work so made the most of it. Core filled my blocks, all the reinforcing steel put in place and top slab poured. My you beaut second hand mixer started throwing the belt off half way through so that made for some swearing every time it stopped while I was bucketing the concrete out of the barrow by hand and up to the slab... Will get that sorted before next time. All done and looking good so far. Bought some ornamental bricks from Rochedale too. 3 large holes in them so hope they go ok. Going to build an arch inside the block base opening today hopefully. This will be interesting...
Attached Thumbnails
36inch build in Redlands-img_0529.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0532.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0544.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0549.jpg   36inch build in Redlands-img_0553.jpg  

Last edited by stevo70; 05-17-2013 at 02:35 PM.