Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Serf

Default Restoring a Bread Oven

Hello,

I have a bread oven that I think was built around 1870, which I would like to restore to working order. We live in Mid-Wales. As the house was originally a drapers and general store it is likely that the bread oven was the main one for the village.

I have a very rough idea of what I need to do, namely, prove the chimney works, replace a number of fire bricks, repoint with fire cement, replace the door frame and install a new door. Other than that I have no knowledge of how to go about it, nor how much it is likely to cost. Also, my building experience is limited to dry stone walling.

Can anyone put me in touch with someone who help me with this?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Restoring a Bread Oven

Hello Ian

Maybe Rick Coleman of Mair's Bakehouse can help. He has an enormous Allan Scott oven. He was fortunate enough to be able to have first-hand advice from Allan when he was still with us. He bakes up to 800 loaves a week and generally trades in markets in the Machynlleth area... more on Rick...
A Sourdough Baking Journey | Transition Network

There is also Jay from Bettws-y-coed who has a similar set-up.

I build wood-fired Pompeii ovens. I am no expert but have experience and a lot of knowledge in this field. I could pop-up from S.Wales to have a look also and pass on any advice I can.

I shall send you a PM with address/telephone numbers.

Terry

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.