Old 08-07-2011, 03:34 AM
Laborer

Default My second Pompeii oven

When I built my first Pompeii oven I had a great deal to learn and made many mistakes (had only just started using a PC so didn't even know of FB...and it's forum.

I've nearly finished my second Pompeii build and have learned a great deal more....but....I'm still learning.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-8-006.jpg   My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-8-013.jpg  

My 2nd Pompeii build.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My second Pompeii oven

So oven number 3 should be a cracker then?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:08 AM
Laborer

Hello Brickie

My first oven ,,,as I've mentioned had many flaws so I really haven't been able to use it as it should be used. This second build was for my boss.....I was strapped for cash in the spring and asked him to fix my leaking roof...we made a deal....he fixes my roof and I build him an oven....I think he got the better deal, although the build was really enjoyable...and I've learned so much

I am too impatient to use a "jig" and wanted to build the dome in 1 day so I came up with a "moveable" fixed form. (see pics)...

Love your website and use it quite often for reference

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-6-003.jpg   My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-6-012.jpg   My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-6-013.jpg   My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-6-014.jpg   My second Pompeii oven-bob-builders-oven-6-015.jpg  

Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Journeyman

Hello crannyfradock,

Nice work. I'd like to see more photos of the closure as the triangle and form look interesting to me. Also a photo of the inside.

What are the dimensions of the oven?

Cheers,

Old 08-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"I am too impatient to use a "jig" and wanted to build the dome in 1 day so I came up with a "moveable" fixed form. (see pics)..."

It is much faster, and you can control the shape better. (You need a device for fishing out dropped tools !). I used 1/2 inch Styrofoam for the material instead of plywood for the vanes (it was cheaper). The styrafoam was plenty strong enough and easy to break up and remove when the dome was finished.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Peasant

Terry, you really did a beautiful job on your oven and the surrounding brick work.
Thanks for the post and pictures.
Gary
Old 10-27-2011, 02:05 PM
Laborer

Thanks for the comments.

I haven,t got many pictures of the oven build due to a computer crash, but managed to post a couple on You tube before I lost them...
... Slideshow Pompeii Wood-fired oven with grill station. - YouTube

The oven is 90cm/36". With the system/form that I used, as soon as the first full course was over the internal arch, I removed the fins/form via the hole in the top (virtually didn't even wait 5 minutes)..had faith in the homebrew mix ratio 4:1:1:1 sand, cement (opc), lime and powdered fire-clay. After cleaning the internal joints and perps I replaced the fins and laid a sand form to finish the last rings and the keystone.....again as soon as the keystone was laid I removed the fins through the front arch....and was able to easily clean the fresh joints at the top of the dome.

In all honesty I didn't publish a picture of the dome keystone as although structurally sound, it wasn't the prettiest of keystone's. The whole build was built and cut/dressed using 4 tools....brickhammer, lump hammer, bolster and trowel.

Terry

Old 10-28-2011, 12:59 PM
Peasant

Terry, thanks for posting the video, it is absolutely awesome.

Gary
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Laborer

Gary

Your kind comment is truly appreciated Sir.

Terry

Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 AM
Laborer

Uploaded more detailed photo's and full descriptions on stage progress here...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/memb...eii-build.html

terry