Old 06-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Peasant

Default Belfast

I have just begun my second attempt in the back yard. If anyone local has caught the passion do say hello!
First was a trad barrel bread oven, with far too much thermal mass.
This is Tuscan after our son's wedding to Grainne. I was inspired by the oven by their old church. It must be used for weddings and church events.
Attached Thumbnails
Belfast-casper.jpg  
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Belfast

It certainly has a interesting flue design...
Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Laborer

Where exactly is this oven?

I'm intrigued...

Last edited by cleverdick; 08-07-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:07 AM
Peasant

Its of course a work in progress, sort of making it up as i go! Back yard in cranmore, Belfast (N ireland). The smoke chamber is simply stucco over metal plastering mesh, flue is free offcuts. I turned it sideways tobavoid dominating the view to garden, but also i will be building brick columns for a Loggia style feature, so can have a brick stack. At the front those holes ensure a dry insulation layer since its laid into sloping ground.
Landing is therefore kept clear and wide but I now discover that although technically a landing is completely unnecessary, there is signuficant heat when lit extends about a foot outwards, so i will now add a platform to make use of this, a keep warm slow cook area.
I am looking at Kiva Rumfkrd design as a possible build in below, in place of log area so the flue gets used twicw, oven and fireplace
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 AM
Laborer

OK, I misunderstood - I thought the photo was of the oven that inspired you; it certainly looks well past the 'just begun' stage!

And very rustic - it should blend in beautifully.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:58 AM
Peasant

By "just begun" it only needs a full week to build, Once the base slab and retaining wall is in I laid the RB and dome in a few days last summer.... But carelessly cut my foot open. A year later the insulation, smoke chamber and finish coats just applied, first firing in July, but hearth and flue to do. I can get random marble slabs free locally, so outdoor dough kneading, and so many Ref bricks left over from previous trad barrel oven that I could make a second Naples oven but will build a kiva fire in the log space below