Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Regional Forums > Northeast US

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ronh
  • 1 Post By ronh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 AM
Peasant

Default Pizza Supplies in MA

For anyone out there looking to find a local distributor for flour, dop tomatoes, etc at a reasonable price, I've got one I use in the Medford area. PM me and I'll be happy to share the details, I have an account setup there that you can use (they won't sell to the public). 55lb bag of flour was $36 and a case of 12 cans of DOP tomatoes was $38, which was better than I was finding. Of course, you have to be reasonably close to pick up, but for me, shipping costs from CA for FB products just added to much. Getting ready to fire my first pizza this weekend in my Primavera 70, wish me luck.
Zeke likes this.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:31 PM
Serf

Default Re: Pizza Supplies in MA

You deserve an award for the turkey burner method of curing a brick oven. Without your assistance my days of curing would have been weeks. You are the MAN! Hopefully we can have dueling cookoff some day. I am failing on pizza side of things lately but the filet mignons were out of this world. Need to work on precise measurements to correct the pizza and bread cooking. Well I can say that I will never go out a have someone prepare a filet again for me. Thanks Ron, You are the Best!
Old 08-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Serf

Can you advise details of your source of Flour and toms in Mass? Thanks Richard
Old 08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Serf

Smile Re: Pizza Supplies in MA

I picked up caputo flour at Accardi and Sons in Medford, Ma. They are a wholesaler who probably didn't like the idea of selling me a 50lb bag of flour for $42. They probably thought I was purchasing for a business and were not to happy when I told them it was for home use. Oh well! I do love having the "00" type of flour to make pizza from a flavor perspective. I have yet to make bread though and will post info in future on that subject. As far as the San Marzano tomato(e)s, I purchased them at costcos in 8lb can. I love them fresh and not cooked. My wife prefers the cooked version in a pizza sauce. She always gets her way

I hope this information is helpful.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Peasant

Also restaurant depot carries caputo flour, the dop san marzanos and of course the fresh mozz....great prices as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Serf

Asfor membership to restaurant depot-is it fee based, such as Costco or something?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Serf

Can you give some detail to membership to restaurant depot?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Peasant

You basically need to own a business....or know someone who does....to get a membership. There's no cost.
Zeke likes this.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM
Serf

Worth the hoops to find someone with a membership. There are a number of cooking items that will save you a bundle. I purchased two mini cast iron pans for $10 each which was a steal. Love putting the cast iron pans in my WFO for incredible searing and charring techniques. Hope you find a business helper. Take care.

P.s. RonH makes the best speciality pizzas in the world. Okay, maybe just Greater Boston! New England???
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Serf

Thanks for the replies. I will have to ask my friends to see if someone meets the membership criteria. I'm on the Cape.