Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Serf

Default building my first brick opven

First time doing any kind of forum just curious is everyone on this forum a forno bravo owner or do some of you have a handmade oven?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
Laborer

Default Re: building my first brick opven

I speak for myself, but I think there are many builders here and some fb oven owners.

Trellis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Home Sweet Home~ Colorado Springs ~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Maybe a poll is in order. I think you will find it pretty diverse in here as far as what people do or don't do. What I think we ll agree on though is that cooking with wood and fire are awesome.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Serf

My back yard is 70% concrete and 30% garden and i was originally planning to build my oven right on top of the cement but after seeing the weight of these ovens i dont know if i am going to have to build a proper reinforced slab in the garden area just to be safe , I know there is no rebar in the cemented area only wire
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

What is your plan for the oven? What size? Finishes?

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 04-02-2013, 09:35 AM
Serf

Id 36x40 fire brick low dome maybe 14 or 15 inches strictley for pizza, least mortor as possible and plan to use dense ridgid insulation board underneith and around sides completly enclosed with either block or wonderbaord. thats the plan any ideas
Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Serf

Also I dont plan on going with the round design I like the half barrel design for lack of a better word. I feel there is more room yes, no?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaobsessed View Post
My back yard is 70% concrete and 30% garden and i was originally planning to build my oven right on top of the cement but after seeing the weight of these ovens i dont know if i am going to have to build a proper reinforced slab in the garden area just to be safe , I know there is no rebar in the cemented area only wire

There are some options out there, If you determine that your concrete area will not handle the weight. You might want to look into a concrete wet saw rental in your area. The saw in my quick search link is a small one. There are larger saws available with more umph .

Shop around for the best deal .

Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Another slab laid over your existing concrete should suffice as it will spread the load cutting and removing concrete is a pain..How big/heavy an oven are you planning?

Last edited by david s; 04-02-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Another slab laid over your existing concrete should suffice as it will spread the load cutting and removing concrete is a pain..How big/heavy an oven are you planning?
David,
You may be right on this. I would do the same as you suggest in my subtropical climate. But, this oven is in an area of "frost heave". Not my area of expertise. Maybe some one from the arctic will chime in .