Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2013, 06:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculite?

What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculite?

You are only after trapping in the air, if the peanuts burn off the air is atill trapped in a matrix of portland cement.
You can eat the peanuts so if the do burn off they wont harm the oven.

The though occurred to me after seeing someone else in the build phase who has difficulty accessing vermiculite.

https://www.google.com.au/#psj=1&q=s...eanuts&spell=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM
Peasant

Default Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

In the old times people also used straw so in a way it will work. It will not work as good as vermiculite though. One of the key things to the insulational properties is not just air, but as small air pockets as possible. The smaller the air pockets, the better. If they peanuts burn away, you will have big air pockets.

How about using Expanded clay aggregate. They are a good alternative. On some of the build video's by Italian masters I have seen them use it and here I have a "wood fired oven shop" that also swears by them.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtwacht View Post

How about using Expanded clay aggregate.
Thats fine too, I was thinking more along the lines of stuff ppl could make for themselves.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Red face Re: What about using starch based packing peanuts for insulation instead of vermiculi

Gudday
Yes for the same reason I thought at one stage Dolomite (kitty litter) might be the GO. But after soaking it in water it floated real well for a while then sank to the bottom and broke down and I got a real nice clay layer
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Old 09-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Gudday
Yes for the same reason I thought at one stage Dolomite (kitty litter) might be the GO. But after soaking it in water it floated real well for a while then sank to the bottom and broke down and I got a real nice clay layer
Regards dave
Why did you float it in water?
If anything the water would be in contact for a very short time if mixed in a slurry with cement, cement starts the setting process almost straight from the start.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Peasant

You probably allready bumped into the following idea since I now see that you have >3000 posts but I remember seeing someone do a posting about making foam here on the forum. With that he created his own "airated concrete". No idea anymore how succesfull he was.

If you want small air pockets, how about eggwhite? Mix it up, bake it, break it and use it in your concrete mix.

It is something you can make for yourself but I doubt that it would be any better than using straw.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
You probably allready bumped into the following idea since I now see that you have >3000 posts but I remember seeing someone do a posting about making foam here on the forum. With that he created his own "airated concrete".
The thread seemed to just end with no conclusion?

Old 09-15-2013, 02:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
You probably allready bumped into the following idea since I now see that you have >3000 posts but I remember seeing someone do a posting about making foam here on the forum. With that he created his own "airated concrete".
The thread seemed to just end with no conclusion?

There must be a way for ppl with little resources to make insulation?

Old 09-15-2013, 03:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
You probably allready bumped into the following idea since I now see that you have >3000 posts but I remember seeing someone do a posting about making foam here on the forum. With that he created his own "airated concrete". No idea anymore how succesfull he was.
Yeah, that was me, I use foam all the time. Seems no one else has followed suit with the idea. It's a better insulator than vermicrete and cheaper too. I use it 50/50 with vermicrete now.

/Users/davespizzaovens/Downloads/foam-concrete-18447.html

Last edited by david s; 09-15-2013 at 03:41 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday Davids
Yes I followed that post
Question: why 50/50?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door