Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Apprentice

Default Vendors in Seattle

I'm only getting started with things, so don't know where to get everything from but here is a starter list for those in the Seattle area.

Masonry/Brick Supply:
I-XL Masonry | Redmond, WA
Mutual Materials in Bellevue

I purchased my bricks from I-XL for $1.16/each. I had also called Mutual Materials and they where ~$1.35 and did not offer to price match. (I-XL also sells a pre-fab pizza oven kit. They have one setup in the warehouse they will show you if your interested.)

Tools:
Harbor Freight in Bellevue - Got my wet saw, stand, blades

Perlite/Cement:
Home Depot in Seattle - they carry 4 CF bags of Perlite

Insulation:
Seattle Pottery Supply - they sell Insblock and other refractory materials
Old 12-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Vendors in Seattle

Oh - and almost forgot my favorite store of all:

Pizza & Italian supplies:
Big John's PFI - Great selection of canned tomatoes, cheeses, pasta, bulk spices, etc. Just picked up a 50lb bag of Caputo for $38 this weekend. They are kind of a hole in the wall and hours are not convenient but one of my favorite food stores in Seattle.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Apprentice

Dick's Restaurant Supply in SODO is good for peels and brushes.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Neither the Home Depot nor the Lowe's on I-99 just south of 130th have the large bags of perlite or vermiculite...to the best of my knowledge. Your link is to another location of course. I'm just pointing it out.

BTW, is it "large" perlite, or the stuff that looks like laundry detergent, very small and fine?

I also bought my bricks from I-XL ($1.15 at the time). Be aware that you will get a mix of brick hardnesses from I-XL. The dark ones are much harder than the light ones. Whether they would be classified as medium vs. heavy I don't know. I like the color variation actually. I think it's really attractive.

Salmon Bay in Ballard is also good. Got my fireclay and mortar lime there. They have 4cuFt perlite, but it's the wrong stuff, as explained above.

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

WFO Webpage:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thread:

Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

"BTW, is it "large" perlite"

You want the coarse grained or "large" perlite.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes. Thanks for the clarification. :-) To reemphasize, I found the stuff at Salmon Bay to be the wrong stuff: small.

WFO Webpage:

Thread:

Old 12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebwi View Post
Neither the Home Depot nor the Lowe's on I-99 just south of 130th have the large bags of perlite or vermiculite...to the best of my knowledge. Your link is to another location of course. I'm just pointing it out.

BTW, is it "large" perlite, or the stuff that looks like laundry detergent, very small and fine?
Yes - this is the Home Depot in SODO about a mile south of Safeco Field.

Honestly I'm not actually sure if it is large Perlite or not - the bag just had "Perlite" on the side so I'm thinking not. The grains definitely varied from marble size all the way down to detergent size and were pretty evenly distributed in between.

After mixing it for the base insulation, it definitely seemed to maintain lots of air and be very light. In fact my biggest concern if it will support the weight of the oven. My neighbors cat must have walked through it that afternoon because I see little footprints that made about 1" depressions in the material.

I has been curing now for 48 hours and has been stiffening up more but I certainly don't think it would support my weight standing on it without compacting. I'm not sure if I did not use enough water or if it just needs more time to cure. Figuring I'll let it go until the weekend and see how it hardens up. (I am planning on also putting 1" of insulating board on top of the perlite.)

Having fun!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Serf

were can i get castable refractory cement in pittsburgh
Old 12-03-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
were can i get castable refractory cement in pittsburgh
A google maps search for refractory near pittsburgh shows dozens of possibilities, as you would expect from a place with a tradition of blast furnaces. You need to get on the phone and start asking.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Lots of manufacturers as well -- though it isn't what it once was.
James