Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Serf

Default Used Firebricks OKay

after looking around for some time I'm going to take the plunge and start my build. I have never done anything like this so be prepared for questions. My first question is about used firebricks as I have found someone giving them away. All I know is they are yellowish and weight almost 8lbs and say crescent on most of them. The corners are chipped.

1.Do I need to worry about using used bricks? Chemicals or anything? I have seen others who used new bricks on the floor which I think I will do to get nice sharp corners for smoothness.

2. Do they get old? dry? or crumbly after time? Any way to tell if they are good?

Unless I hear some negative feedback I guess I will go for it. Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Used Firebricks OKay

We recycled firebricks from a kiln which fired bricks used in residential construction. No problems here.

We cut the bricks in two, and placed the cut side toward the center of the dome.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Last edited by Lburou; 08-24-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Used Firebricks OKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
We recycled firebricks from a kiln which fired bricks used in residential construction. No problems here.

We cut the bricks in two, and placed the cut side toward the center of the dome.

P.S. We used new firebricks for the oven floor to make the small contamination risk extremely small.

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Laborer

Default Re: Used Firebricks OKay

I would want to know where they came from. You would not want to use bricks which may have been exposed to heavy metals (lead) or something in a food over.