Old 06-18-2010, 06:33 AM
Laborer

Default Used Firebrick

I have come across used firebricks for free. Only problem is that the corners are not square. Since I need to cut the firebricks in Half anyways can I use the new cut side facing into the oven so it would look nice and square? I know in the free directions is says to place cut side out. Not sure if this would break down the bricks faster or anything else that might affect the oven. I would still buy new bricks for the oven floor. Thanks for any help you can give as I need to decide if I want the bricks soon!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Serf

Default Re: Used Firebrick

shouldn't make a difference in strength... just cosmetic.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

This topic has been discussed previously and the consensus was that the 'factory' finish is really no better than a fresh-cut side. For pictures of an excellent build employing a fresh-cut interior dome see Les' Build.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:58 AM

Since bricks fire from the outside in, the outside tends to have a harder and more durable surface than the cut interior. In modern brick kilns that difference is minimal, but I'd still use the factory edge if I had it. That said, free is free, and a fresh cut edge would remove any nasties the brick had been exposed to it it's previous life. I'd go for it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Used Firebrick

dlebla
go for it, with the cut side into the oven. This surface is going to be coated with carbon anyway and after a few uses, who looks at the inside of their oven for aesthetics anyway!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-19-2010, 08:00 AM
Apprentice

I agree...Go for it the bottom half of my oven is made up of used bricks

Peter
Old 06-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Laborer

Thanks everyone for responding. I went and got the bricks and some are chipped, but Not that bad. I counted them up and there were 260 full bricks and a few broken ones. I'm going to get new bricks for the floor so I should have more then enough when I start.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:22 AM
Serf

I agree with KraemerBac

Tags
bricks, firebricks, materials