Old 01-17-2010, 08:53 PM
Peasant

Default Old red fire bricks

Hey all-
I am planning a build in the spring and today was offered some old red fire brick that came from an old fireplace and chimney. I was wondering your notions on using old brick and wondered if old red fire brick is better than the new sand colored stuff out there. I don't think the edges are as sharp as new but I can live with that if the quality is quantifiably (is that a word) better. I live in a location that makes picking up brick easy enough so either option is OK by me.
Any thoughts?

Thom
Old 01-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Old red fire bricks

I don't know if this matters but I was also told that the old stuff is a bit tougher to cut than the new. Any truth?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:15 AM

If they are dark red i would question how much alumina content they have. Even "red" firebricks from the brickyard are pretty pinkish/beige. On the other hand our Australian members report that hard red bricks (not the soft crumbly common ones) are fine for building oven domes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:52 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Thom..
If its the brick they used in the firebox and it never cracked or split, it should be fine. I dont know that it will hold the heat as well as regular firebrick though.. If you can, light a fire and throw a few in, after the fire goes out see how long they hold the heat.. As far as cutting, If your using a proper saw it shouldnt make that much of a difference, many of the cuts will be just cutting them in half and you can do that with a brickset and one good whack of a hammer.....

cheers
mark