Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Serf

Default Need truth about home brew refractory

I live in the "sticks". Just returned home with a load of refractory HiCast only to find that it is no mortar. There goes a 6 hour drive and lots of $4 gallons. Can anybody tell me just how dissapointed or happy I'll be if I use the FB refractory mixture ratios using lime, fireclay, portland, and sand? Help!!
Old 09-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Need truth about home brew refractory

Two years on, and I'm quite happy with mine. I used a mix similar to the basic FB mix, with about 3.5:2:1:1 of sand, fireclay, cement and lime. Ask me in another 20, but I expect it will still be standing.

It takes a little longer to cure fully, but it works pretty well. I did some looking into this same question a couple years ago when I was building, and discussed it here: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/28/r...html#post72280 (Refractory Mortar Poll)

I say go for it, and best of luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Apprentice

I used the 3:1:1:1 homebrew for my oven. I don't have the long term result, but I was sold on the cost, workability, etc. Never used the premix, but my experience with the homebrew was all positive.
Leigh
Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Serf

Just want to say "Thanks" for the info. I needed to be sold on a direction. It has taken me all summer to get to the dome, and I'm looking forward to doing it right. I read your thread you referred me to and am now comfortable with a homebrew. Thanks for your research!
Old 09-30-2011, 03:30 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Need truth about home brew refractory

Go with rodeair's formula!
I used it 4 years ago on my 40"Pompeii with great results and no cracks even today. I would not use anything else!

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 PM
Journeyman

I too use the 3:1:1:1 mix and have been well pleased with it. Cant go wrong. Just mix in small batches (for me - each # was a red party cup!.) You will need to play with the water as hydration will vary according to area. Down here in AZ, I used about 1 3/4 cups water per batch.

Your mileage will vary.

Follow my build