Old 02-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Apprentice

Default "Firerock" refractory mortar

I saw a bag of this at the local builders supply, it is used on the Firerock brand cast fireplaces to mortar the modular units together. Can I use this for a pompeii oven or has anyone used this? I am on the east coast so ordering from FB is not an option.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: "Firerock" refractory mortar

So far I have only good things to say about Firerock, other than the price. I used it on my dome. At least on the interior of the dome. I tuck pointed any of the exterior joints that did not fill completely when laying the brick. My brick fit pretty snug to the inside but had fairly large joints to the outside. For tuck pointing, I used a 50/50 mix of Firerock and "home brew".

I later used 100% homebrew for my entry and flu. So far, no cracks in the dome, entry or flu. Firerock is easy to work with and will allow minimumal time for adjustment. However, if I had it to do over again, I would use hombrew from start to finish. It is cheap, and only a little more difficult to work with. Whether it be Firerock or homebrew, begin by mixing very small amounts. When you get the hang of it you will know how much mortar to mix per brick/per laying/per setting time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to start on my base this weekend, as I finished the foundation pour last weekend. Curing for 5-6 days should be enough as the night temps have not been below 35 F. You're home brew recipe is the same as the FB thread I found?
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabby View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to start on my base this weekend, as I finished the foundation pour last weekend. Curing for 5-6 days should be enough as the night temps have not been below 35 F. You're home brew recipe is the same as the FB thread I found?
Your welocome Fabby,
FB is where I got my formula for "home brew" I really don't think of it as mine. I conscider it as sort of community property .

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Serf

i've never used firerock, i had chance to use vitcas mortar and i can recommend this one. i don't know if you have this one in your market. m