Old 04-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Apprentice

Default Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

Hi all,

Does anybody know of any local supplier of fireclay and the proper refractory mortar in or near Salt Lake City?

Thanks,
Derk
Old 05-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Serf

Default Re: Fireclay? Refractory Mortar? In Utah?

I just got my hi-temp mortar from Harbison Walker @ 4521 W 1980 S. I'm still looking for fireclay.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Apprentice

I bought some fireclay from them. Which hi temp mortar did you get?

The fireclay was cheap, $15.00 or so per bag.

Derk
Old 05-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Serf

The mortar was model KS 4V Plus. I didn't even thing to ask them about fireclay. I'll go back and get some this week.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Laborer

I am looking for Fire clay also? Are you picking up in person or having to order off line? lots of places around here have the premixed refarctory motar in 1 gallon tubs, but that is pretty expensive.

Columbus, NE
Old 05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Apprentice

Toby,

I am luck enough to have a Harbison Walker distribution center relatively near to my home.

Do a google search for Harbison-Walker or ANH. They are refractory people and they have distribution centers in quite a few places.

I bought 1 bag of refmix from Calif. It was $50 + $20 shipping to get to Utah.

I then bought 2 bags of fireclay from Harbison-Walker and some lime, silica sand and Portland cement to make homebrew mortar.

Derk
Old 05-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco211 View Post
I am looking for Fire clay also? Are you picking up in person or having to order off line? lots of places around here have the premixed refarctory motar in 1 gallon tubs, but that is pretty expensive.
You don't want the premixed stuff. It won't "air-cure" and you will never get the oven hot enough to fully cure it.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:24 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangout View Post
You don't want the premixed stuff. It won't "air-cure" and you will never get the oven hot enough to fully cure it.

So you dont want to use the stuff they sell premixed? When i called they have 2 types one for inside and one for outside

Columbus, NE
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 AM
Laborer

Derk

Well after calling a million places, no one around here sells any Fireclay, some places didn't even know what i was talking about. I looked up that Company u recommended and they sell it and will ship the fireclay to me. (Still waiting on an email with shipping costs, but the clay its self is .34 cents a lb. The salesman was trying to get me to use seirset (spelling) He said this is a tigh tempature air set premixed mortar. Was ondering if anyone else has heard of this stuff?

So thanks for the info on ANH

Columbus, NE
Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meco211 View Post

Well after calling a million places, no one around here sells any Fireclay, some places didn't even know what i was talking about.
Perhaps it could be the terminology. Try asking for mortar clay. The stuff I picked up locally is bagged and labeled as "mortar clay". This is what several local dealers carry when I asked for fireclay.