Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Finding Building Materials

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:01 AM
Laborer

Default FB Board alternatives?

Any ideas where to by insulated board, like FB board? I ordered some from FB, but I'm informed they're out of stock for a while and and need to build a door.

what kind of places stock such thing? I found one online company but it was 3 times the price and too much material.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: FB Board alternatives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Rockwall TX View Post
Any ideas where to by insulated board, like FB board? I ordered some from FB, but I'm informed they're out of stock for a while and and need to build a door.

what kind of places stock such thing? I found one online company but it was 3 times the price and too much material.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Try these folks: Skyline Components

They are in Arizona.

My apologies about the FB boards - I just had three delivered to me yesterday for my Pompeii - I may have caused the well to run dry.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Journeyman

look in the phone book under "refractories supply"
Old 04-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Laborer

I located mine locally through a commercial insulation company. Most major cities have one of these.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Paul,

Like dmun, I used Insboard 19 under my oven (on top of a layer of vermicrete). I got it from Harbison Walker, now known as ANH Refractories. I was lucky to get a box of 8 2" boards for $75 since the box had been damaged by a forklift (boards were fine).

They may have a piece or two in their warehhouse. It is located at 4585 Mint Way in Dallas, about 35min from you.

ANH Refractories

Good luck,

John
Old 04-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Apprentice

Oh - and if you're going to build a door - I assume you'll encapsulate the fiberboard with metal or something similar. If you have not planned on it - you should do it. Most of these fiberboards (and insulating blankets) do not appear to be biosoluble. In the EU - they are required to be - so you can get them.

Why does it matter? the ones that are not biosoluble - the fibers will stay in your lungs when you inhale them. (biosoluble = will dissolve with body fluids)

When I build my oven - I'm going to encapsulate all of my board and blanket with at least a thin skim coat of vermicrete / perlcrete so the fibers cannot become airborne. I don't even want the chance of a loose fiber finding its way up between a couple of floor bricks.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:18 PM
Laborer

thanks for the comment on encapsulating - yes, I plan to fully enclose it in steel. i have a fabricator who can cover it in (probably) 16ga mild stee. I don't plan to use stainless.

I'll also tap a hole for the threads of the FB thermometer.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 AM
Serf

Question from Nairobi, Kenya...
I am preparing to build a pompei oven here and am having trouble with finding the various prescribed insulating materials....
NO FB Board to insulate under the hearth;
NO ceramic blanket to insulate over the brick dome;
NO vermiculite to insulate around the ceramic blanket.

Suggestions for substitutes?
Thank you.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Laborer

Are you absolutely sure that these materials are not available in Kenya? Do an internet search for "commercial insulation contractors/suppliers". The ceramic fiber board/blankets are used to insulate hot water/steam piping that are found in heating systems in commercial buildings. Also look for Kiln/refractory supply companies. The ceramic fiber is used to insulate kilns, boilers, etc. If that does not work, unless there are import restrictions, I would strongly suggest paying the extra money to have the items shipped from North America, Europe, etc. You will see through the vast majority of threads here that when a dome is built without the ceramic fiber products, there is disappointment around how the dome heats up. If all else fails, under the hearth, you can suspend glass bottles in sand, cement etc. This will give you at least some insulation. Hope this helps!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 PM

Lightweight volcanic pumice or tufa will do in a pinch. Nothing pays like insulation, now and in the future. Even when wood is free, it costs labor to cut and split it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.