Old 07-03-2014, 05:41 PM
Serf

Default Can I use this board for the Hearth?

Hello,

I am wondering if I can use this board from McGills Warehouse as the Insulation part for the hearth instead of the vermiculite.

McGills Warehouse Online Department Store,

Do I only need one case of the 2 foot by 3 foot boards? (One case seems to be 3 of these boards for $97).

Thanks so much for your help!

Jon
Old 07-08-2014, 07:16 AM
Journeyman

Default Re: Can I use this board for the Hearth?

Jon

those boards look good to me. If you only buy one case you will have a base that is 2 inches thick which is probably fine. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Have you done a "refractory materials" search in Calgary? I did a quick one and at least a couple place popped up, one was a ANH supplier which is a large one here in the states. Might be less expensive than shipping from Calf.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Picassa Picture Log
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For less than $93 plus shipping I would think you can source vermiculite and portland locally. A 4" of 5-1 vermiculite/portland cement mix will provide the same amount of insulation as 2" of CF board.

For what its worth, I bought my CF blanket from McGills and honestly, it was the dirtiest, creepiest retail establishment I have ever dealt with, ever. If there were dead bodies hidden in the corners of their dark 'warehouse' I would not be surprised. I felt strangely fortunate to escape out of there with my life.The refractories McGills sells are admittedly not high quality, but they do work.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Serf

Those are low density fiber boards . I purchase allot of refractory from them. I have used that fiberboard in one of the kilns I build for my shop.
it is not very strong as it is low density kind of soft and spongy
Bill