Old 06-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Peasant

Default Buying a Brick Saw

Hello, I think I've come to the conclusion I may need to buy a Brick saw so I don't have to pick it up every time I want to rent it and knowing I'm slow on the brick cutting calcs for the transitions, floor, vent, etc., think I'm better off buying one and selling it after the build. What do I need to be able to do one build? I see many on Craigslist and Ebay, but which size is good and how many horsepower?
Thanks,
John
Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Buying a Brick Saw

I bought the 10 inch wet Harbor Freight one and it has been great. I will have no trouble selling it on CL when I am all done

Neil
Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 PM
Peasant

Hey Neil, I found a 14 inch Clipper that was rebuilt for $450 and think I'll be able to build the dome and all and resell it for close to that. Very happy I don't have to rush as I'd probably end up cutting my thumb off.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Depends on what you want. If you think there's a chance of using it beyond one build, invest in a decent saw..at the very least 1HP. If you are one and done, hf saw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnt View Post
Hey Neil, I found a 14 inch Clipper that was rebuilt for $450 and think I'll be able to build the dome and all and resell it for close to that. Very happy I don't have to rush as I'd probably end up cutting my thumb off.
I did the same a 14 inch norton clipper, I have traded it's use for a compactor and some nice apple wood, the clipper is a work horse and should serve you well.

Take a look at the cutting jig I used
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ble-16780.html (Possible - New idea for brick cutting table)
Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 PM
Peasant

That is a very cool jig I will definitely be making.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Apprentice

I've purchased the Harbor Freight model and was able to sell it for what I paid for it.
Worked fine for me. Don't forget to use a 25 percent coupon.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:17 PM
Peasant

I saw a 14 inch saw in Home Depot, it wasn't a wet saw but could def be used. It was 200$ and I'm sure the firebrick will eat it up but was wondering if it would get me through the project with a diamond blade... Or would the dust just be that unbearable?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Laborer

I used a garden spray bottle as I cut the bricks and only used half the blade life
Old 10-20-2013, 01:15 AM
Master Builder

I would be going for a wet saw. There are usually plenty of good second hand ones about and if you buy right and sell right it will cost you very little. The extra capacity of a 14 inch saw with a decent motor is worth having and all things being considered it is hardly worth the run in with RSI, Emphysema and COPD.
It can be done with rudimentary tools but it is nice to use some decent gear particularly if it ends up costing you less than one day of hire.
You are on the wrong side of the ocean otherwise I would loan you mine.

Build Thread

Build Pics

Forno Food Pics