Old 04-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Laborer

Default Bricks stamped "Alusite"

HI, I have managed to fins some old bricks and have been told they are firebricks that were once used in an old oven. They are stamped with the word "AlUsite" on one face. Does anyone know of this brand and if they would be suitable for a WFO ?.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Bricks stamped "Alusite"

Seems like this is a trademark of the Harbison-Walker refractory. I gathered from reading some other links that they may be more of a "super duty" or "high alumina" brick, but it is hard to tell. Will be easy enough to tell if you cut one. High alumina content in super duty firebrick will make them more difficult to cut.

ALUSITE Logo - Harbison-Walker Refractories Company Logos
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Laborer

Do they seem fairly light when you pick them up? Firebricks are usually quite heavy whereas an insulating brick (yours may be?) are light in weight in comparison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Laborer

I've attached a couple of photos of the bricks in question. As you can see in one of the photos, each brick weighs in at around 10lbs (almost 5 kg). They definitely aren't insulation bricks. I also have an old batch of another brand of firebrick from the NEWBOLD refractory here in Australia, these only weigh about 4kg each. Does the heavier weight mean they are high duty bricks?.

Regards, Bruno
Attached Thumbnails
Bricks stamped "Alusite"-alusite-brick1.jpg   Bricks stamped "Alusite"-alusite-brick2.jpg  
Old 04-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Laborer

as you said, it sounds like they're not insulating bricks then if they are nearly 5kg. Firebricks generally have a high alumina content 35-40%, so I guess without any real data on the bricks you have it would be hard to guess what they are. The weight is dependent upon what's in it of course which determines the type (duty) of the brick, so again, I'm afraid without the data you may be flying blind.

Can anyone else here tell us of a test that can determine the capabilities of a firebrick??

Old 04-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

The more the mass of a brick the more fuel it will take to heat it up, and the more it will retain the heat for a longer period.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brung99 View Post
I've attached a couple of photos of the bricks in question. As you can see in one of the photos, each brick weighs in at around 10lbs (almost 5 kg). They definitely aren't insulation bricks. I also have an old batch of another brand of firebrick from the NEWBOLD refractory here in Australia, these only weigh about 4kg each. Does the heavier weight mean they are high duty bricks?.

Regards, Bruno
The Newbold bricks should have some numbers or other letters on them. if you can give me further info, I have a Newbold book to referance it to.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57 AM
Laborer

Thanks Johnny, I'll take a closer look in the morning and see if I can find anything. Will keep you posted.....
Old 04-10-2012, 12:08 AM
Laborer

HI Johnny,

The bricks are old and have dried mortar/dirt etc over them. I tried looking for the marks on the bricks as you suggested, but couldn' find anything distinguishable. Whilst searching however, i found a few other bricks in the pile stamped with "F Z". Any idea about these ones?

Regards,
Bruno
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Journeyman

They are NGR, or Newbold General Refractories, the FZ is for "fire zone", which is high duty 30% Alumina firebrick. Perfect for your oven, but as we have said before, there may be contamination dependent on its previous application. You may see a marking on the brick, a half circle with 'Vulcan" also displayed in the half circle?