#1  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:16 PM
brickie in oz's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whittlesea
Posts: 3,455
Default Basalt the material made in hell.

Basalt the material made in hell.

I am about to embark on a pull down (I must be mad..) and redo of an oven so I have started to look for materials for the new oven.

In Melbourne we have copious amounts of Bluestone (basalt) so I thought Id give it a test to see if it could withstand the immense heat generated by a wood fired oven, with the hope of using it instead of fire bricks..

So far the results are encouraging.
Lit the fire in the current oven and put in a lump of basalt at start up to replicate typical oven firings.

The basalt reached a glowing point of 760 degrees c and seemed to handle the heat ok without spalling.

The cool down will be the real test, cracking isnt the real issue, its spalling and spitting lumps of basalt into your pizza that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Basalt the material made in hell.-lump-o-basalt1.jpg   Basalt the material made in hell.-lump-o-basalt3.jpg  
__________________
The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:38 AM
david s's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Townsville, Nth Queensland,Australia
Posts: 4,758
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

We've recently returned from France, Italy UK etc. and have seen many really old ovens in castles that had their domes made from rocks mortared together. The type of rock and the type of mortar I couldn't tell but it looked like they must have done a lot of cooking and they've held together.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Master Builder
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Washington State USA
Posts: 777
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Basalt is also known as "traprock". Do a Google search (traprock basalt wood fired ovens) and one of the entries will be my thread "Steel Dome Oven". Basalt is what I used as the heat reservoir/heat sink in my WFO. It's been used for a long long time in WFOs. Probably as good as firebrick for our applications.

I used 1/4 minus crushed basalt with calcium aluminate cement. I made up some test pieces from left over material. I suspect one could use it as a "castable" mix, but that is only a suspicion as I never bothered to do serious testing. Around here the stuff is quite inexpensive $13/yd loaded in one's trailer.

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:39 PM
dmun's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey USA
Posts: 4,216
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Quote:
In Melbourne we have copious amounts of Bluestone (basalt)
In the nations divided by a common tongue department, in the states bluestone is a sedimentary rock like slate that would be entirely unsuited to use with direct flame.



I imagine basalt would work fine, being cooled lava. I can't imagine it's easy to cut.
__________________
My geodesic oven project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM
brickie in oz's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whittlesea
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Basalt is easier than brick to cut with a diamond saw.
Ive cut 1" deep around basalt rocks and one tap with a chisel and they slit in two.
__________________
The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2011, 04:03 PM
Lburou's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DFW area, USA
Posts: 1,116
Question Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Basalt the material made in hell.

I am about to embark on a pull down (I must be mad..) and redo of an oven so I have started to look for materials for the new oven.

In Melbourne we have copious amounts of Bluestone (basalt) so I thought Id give it a test to see if it could withstand the immense heat generated by a wood fired oven, with the hope of using it instead of fire bricks..

So far the results are encouraging.
Lit the fire in the current oven and put in a lump of basalt at start up to replicate typical oven firings.

The basalt reached a glowing point of 760 degrees c and seemed to handle the heat ok without spalling.

The cool down will be the real test, cracking isnt the real issue, its spalling and spitting lumps of basalt into your pizza that is.
OK, how many heat/cool cycles will you need to feel good about using it in an oven?
__________________
Lee B.
DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM
brickie in oz's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whittlesea
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
OK, how many heat/cool cycles will you need to feel good about using it in an oven?
Im undecided as to risk the stone in direct contact with the heat and flames as I found some small shards of stone in the oven this morning.

They might stop after a few firings, who knows?
__________________
The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2011, 08:36 AM
Nic The Landscaper's Avatar
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Newberg, Oregon
Posts: 100
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

An even easier way to cut basalt is with a stone and block guillotine. In the States small hand operated ones can be cheaply rented from stone yards.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-18-2011, 12:09 PM
brickie in oz's Avatar
Il Pizzaiolo
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Whittlesea
Posts: 3,455
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

I tried my guillotine it wouldnt cut it?
__________________
The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-05-2014, 09:49 PM
v12spirit's Avatar
Journeyman
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Syria
Posts: 269
Default Re: Basalt the material made in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
Basalt is also known as "traprock". Do a Google search (traprock basalt wood fired ovens) and one of the entries will be my thread "Steel Dome Oven". Basalt is what I used as the heat reservoir/heat sink in my WFO. It's been used for a long long time in WFOs. Probably as good as firebrick for our applications.

I used 1/4 minus crushed basalt with calcium aluminate cement. I made up some test pieces from left over material. I suspect one could use it as a "castable" mix, but that is only a suspicion as I never bothered to do serious testing. Around here the stuff is quite inexpensive $13/yd loaded in one's trailer.

Hope this helps,
Wiley
Hi wiley,
is constructing the whole oven with Basalt rocks better than mixing crushed basalt with concrete like you did?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why are there so many "members" that havent made 1 single post here brickie in oz Chit Chat 18 01-19-2011 10:23 AM
How Insulation is Made GianniFocaccia Finding Building Materials 3 12-30-2010 05:21 PM
Optimal hearth surface material for high heat? scpizza Pompeii Oven Construction 1 04-23-2009 10:15 AM
ideal caulk material for inside flue builder brad Newbie Forum 1 04-13-2009 02:04 AM
2-chamber oven floor material Leah Getting Started 3 09-14-2008 07:24 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
2006/10 Forno Bravo, LLC