Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 10:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

Ive landed a job where I have to build a base and assemble a modular oven that was brought from Italy, the modular oven build is rubbish and Im sure I could have built the entire oven from scratch for less.

The question is, will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

The family want to have a pizza birthday party with the oven in about 3 weeks time.
Ive bought a gas/wok ring as I thought it may speed up the curing a tad.

The brickwork base was done yesterday and the concrete slab for the oven to sit on was done this morning.

Edit:-
The oven and cooking floor are made from refractory concrete but the joints on some areas are about 15mm wide...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-16-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?

Hi Al,

I'd love to see some pictures of the project. I have a hunch that a modular would need less curing time. It has less mass and doesn't have the porous bricks that have been dipped in water.

That being said, the instructions for FornoBravo's Casa2G recommends a 5 day cure. Since it's someone else's oven, you better take it slow

Updated!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some pics of the build.

The inside of the oven casting is so porous there are holes everywhere, you can even see the chicken wire they used for the reinforcing.

I had to grind the lumps off the oven hearth that were left after manufacture.

I used the clay pavers for extra thermal mass.
Attached Thumbnails
Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1198_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1199_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1197_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1200_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1201_01.jpg  

Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-17-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Some more pics.

Ive left a gas burner in there on low for the weekend to hurry the curing along a bit.

The castings are about 60mm thick, do you think this is thick enough as I can add more castable if needed?
There is a whole section missing from the front that Ive had to make up with brickwork.

These ppl have 3 other ovens and I saw one being loaded onto a truck this morning for a relo, I think I have all of the other 3 to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1202_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1203_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1204_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1205_01.jpg   Will a modular oven need as much curing as a scratch built oven?-dscn1206_01.jpg  

Last edited by brickie in oz; 11-17-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie in oz View Post
Ive landed a job where I have to build a base and assemble a modular oven that was brought from Italy, ...
Hi Al, I'm curious, what sort of money did they pay for this type of unit?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They paid $1200 but its not complete, they didnt know this until I told them.
The brochure that came with the oven shows all the parts, its in Italian of course and I can make out the majority of it from guess work.

Im sure there should have been another crate with the front, s steel chimney etc in it but they havent got it.

Old 11-17-2011, 10:26 PM
Apprentice

I like the idea of having the opening in the shed, thats awesome, would be good for parties, especially in the winter months.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:31 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

They said they have as many as 120 per shed party, so the oven will be well used....

Old 11-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It looks like those castings are fired terra cotta. Is that what they look like to you?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Its painted concrete, and they have slapped on some red oxide too for good measure, its all over my clothes.....