Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Welcome to Alternative Oven

Welcome to our newest FB Forum category. You can use this space to talk about other types of wood-fired ovens, including clay, adobe and cobb ovens, along with steel dome ovens and other more experimental ovens, including the beer keg oven.

I will look through the FB Forum and move a number of relevant threads to this category.

Enjoy!

James
Mario Borja likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 02-26-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:32 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Welcome to Alternative Oven

Good idea James!
As my thread evolved I more than once thought that "Introductions" was a strange category to be in.
Wiley
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Serf

cheers james!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nordik,

I had my doubts - you nailed it! I'm thinking I just might drink a keg of beer to have a portable oven. Great job.

Les...

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Serf

Thanks Les,

you had your doubts... you and I both!
i always thought it'd end up a wood fired patio heater instead.

to be able to drink the keg and make a oven out of it... win win situation!

thanks again.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I'm a bit late to the party (haven't been online at home in ages) but thanks! Love the new forum!

If I ever get my desktop fixed I probably have every old earthen oven thread bookmarked...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 03-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Welcome to our newest FB Forum category. You can use this space to talk about other types of wood-fired ovens, including clay, adobe and cobb ovens, along with steel dome ovens and other more experimental ovens, including the beer keg oven.

I will look through the FB Forum and move a number of relevant threads to this category.

Enjoy!

James
Good Morning,
I'm not sure if this is how or where I should be asking this question but here it goes. I want to build a low dome oven 42" circle with a dome height of 16" and the arch opening of 10" high and 16" wide. These are interior measurements. Any advice? Would I still be able to bake and cook other food besides pizza without burning due to the low dome? Thanks Carol

Last edited by doughforthesoul; 03-24-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Serf

Well as they say (LOOK DOWN) okay I figured out how to post (I THINK)
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Master Builder

Carol,
I would consider going with a wider opening, 16 inches is on the small size especially at the end of any significant entry tunnel (for want of a better word, I'm using tunnel. I mean the transition area beneath the chimney from outside to actual inside the WFO) Being able to work and access the entire hearth area thru such a narrow opening will be more difficult if the tunnel is of any significant length.

Also depending upon what material you are building your WFO out of you may at some point need to make repairs to the interior of the dome. Unless you are a very petite person unaffected by claustophobia just getting inside would be difficult.

And 10 inches will be quite limiting in the height of a roaster that you will be able to easily place inside. I have a S.S. one that works well in my WFO. It easily fits a 14 pound turkey or a pork shoulder. I recently acquired a roaster that should easy accommodate a 20+ pound bird, however, I will have to remove and make a new handle for the top/lid as it is, it is too tall to fit inside my WFO. It might be worth while to measure the pots and roasters you are planning on using inside your WFO to see that they will easily fit.

Just some thoughts, hope they help,
Wiley
Old 03-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Serf

Thanks Willey,
What would you suggest for height and width of opening?
Also any thoughts on 16" dome being to high to fire quick and retain heat? This is all still a big learning curve for me but I'm getting there! By the way I will be using refractory cast, 2" thick. Is that thick enough plus 2, 1" layers of insulating blanket,
then 2-3" of perlite concrete.
Carol