Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Peasant

Default Swampys Refractory cast oven

Time to start my journal.
I have based my plans largely on joeys refractory oven with a few changes so first up a big thanks to him for the inspiration.
Ok,the first thing I have done is router two circles into my wood top.The inside one is 80cm(32")and the outside one is 92cm.I am using zincalume tin for the frames,cut and wraped around inside the routerd circles.Next i will add some blocks for reinforcment then add a raised floor in the middle and plaster the dome.The inside wall is 27cm high so i will make the top of the inside dome 43cm,giving me the 63% ratio of door to dome.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 AM
Laborer

Default Re: Swampys Refractory cast oven

I am going to subscribe to this thread as well. Thanks for giving the measurements of the mould.
Did you router the wood platform simply to give the mould a place to sit? I am assuming you accounted for that depth in your measurements for the door height.
Good luck and keep the build going and posted.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Peasant

Hi Roobqn.
Yes,the routering is just to give the tin a nice perfect circle.wthout the routered guide it would have been a nightmare to get the tin round.I also added an extra 6mm to account for the hight.Going to place in the supports and add the raised floor today.
cheers.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:09 PM
Apprentice

Looks interesting...Can't wait to see more..

Peter
Old 09-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Peasant

I have added all the supporting posts and lined the tin with a liner that is very slippery so the concrete shouldn't stick to the moulds.The raised floor is on and everything just needs siliconing in and that part is done.next up is the opening and moulding the dome.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
Peasant

Swampy, hi. Good luck with your build. I also followed Joeys build and it was a great help. The only thing I would like to offer to you at this stage is to make sure your outside wall support post have no play. I did mine similar to your and when I vibrated the refractory it compacted it so much it started pushing the supports out.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Peasant

will do.I plan to have some strapping around the outside before i start the pour.
just waiting on some prices then i can start the hard graft.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Serf

Hi Swampy, I am looking at doing something pretty similar, what castable refractory are you using?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Peasant

Probably a refractory concrete from shinagawa in huntly.placemakers sell it for around $55 for a 25kg bag but im trying to get it a bit cheaper from another supplier.the stuff is expensive here,so are fire bricks,looks like i found heap of second hand ones for $2.50 each.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Serf

Cheers Swampy, on an earlier post from Wemme (also here in NZ) he says he has found it for $25.00 per bag!!! I have asked him where from.
On another topic has anyone found a suitable equivalent to the FB insulating board here in NZ?