Old 07-11-2013, 07:06 AM
Serf

Default Steel dome oven build

To anyone interested in a steel dome oven here is the blog that I set up to keep the family up to date on our progress. Thought some might find this info useful. We are currently doing some break-in fires before we install the final enclosure with insulation. I'll let everyone know what happens as we go. Enjoy.
Redbug Riviera
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Steel dome oven build

Really well documented build. Looking forward to seeing how it performs once insulated. Well done.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:53 AM
Serf

Ok, So the low temp fires went very well. Very little cracking of the masonry layer etc. This weekend I'm going to try a run up to about 750 F and thought I'd try a pizza while I was at it. I have a question for you folks. There seems to be about 200 F difference between the temp at the top of the dome and the sides and the hearth is considerably hotter than the dome. (this may even out a bit when the oven is actually insulated) What temp am I shooting for here and where ie should I fire the hearth to ~700 F and let the dome be whatever it is or continue to heat until the dome hits some nice temperature ? Any thoughts?
Old 07-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Best to take you temps off the floor that's were the food is.
I suppose everyone manages there oven a little differently but here's how I do mine for pizza. I get an active fire going for about an hour and a half , no big logs only sticks thinner than my wrist. In the next 1/2 hour I let the flame die down and remove as much ash from the hearth floor as possible keeping the big coals to one side. It's important to remove the ash as it insulates the floor from the radiant heat from the dome. It's important to let the dome sit for the 1/2 hour to let the heat stabilize. Then it's 3 or 4 small 1in thick sticks on the coals and once the flames from them are licking up the wall you are ready to go. First pizza is just a tester garlic and cheese just in case the ovens a bit hot you can pull it out real quick and get the guest something to eat straight away.
Hope something here helps
Regards dave

My Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Door

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Apprentice

Just curious where you found that tank head. I am looking to build a similar oven and would like to purchase one or two of those for my build.

Thanks in advance.
MV.

You oven looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellisco1 View Post
To anyone interested in a steel dome oven here is the blog that I set up to keep the family up to date on our progress. Thought some might find this info useful. We are currently doing some break-in fires before we install the final enclosure with insulation. I'll let everyone know what happens as we go. Enjoy.
Redbug Riviera
Old 09-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Serf

Default Re: Steel dome oven build source for tank head

Michelevit,
Here is the contact info for the company that provided my tank head. Mine was a 37" diameter hemispherical (or just hemi) with a 3/16" (.187) wall thickness. The price at the time was ~$160 but that may have changed. The head actually shipped from Youngstown OH. Roger Zorn was the sales guy that worked with me and he was very nice. I was expecting a less gracious reception as a one time customer that needed one piece, but they were just fine with it. FYI, When it comes to cutting and welding these things it would be worth your time to tack a piece of strap or rod across the edge of the dome while you cut and weld the tunnel into place. The dome didn't move very much at all when I cut it but if I had it to do over I would have tacked a brace there first.

Roger Zorn
Commercial Metal Forming
Saginaw, TX 76179
Ph: 800-433-7040, ext 250
Fax: 817-232-0213
rzorn@cmforming.com
Old 09-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Apprentice

Thanks for the lead. Any idea how much was shipping?
Was it shipped on a pallet?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Serf

Michelevit,
$160 was tax title license and dealer prep. They shipped it in on a pallet and in a cardboard cover actually. The truck delivered it right to the house. Well, not quite. I live in the sticks so I took pity on the guy and met him at the highway where we loaded it in my truck. The only thing is, you might want a buddy to help move it around initially, because when it's on the pallet it's pretty unwieldy. I used a block and tackle to pick it up and set it on a furniture dolly and just rolled it around until I was ready to start hacking on it. Oh yeah, one more thing. There is a burr around the inside edge of these things that could be used to butcher small animals. Gloves and a grinder are your friends.
So not to be nosey but are you building two ovens or do you have some sort of double dome design goin' on?
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 AM
Journeyman

Probably building an oven for Dollywood
Old 09-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Apprentice

what is dollywood?

I'm building a trailer mounted oven and and a stand mounted oven. Thanks
for the lead.

So to clarify that price included shipping?

I'm having 0 luck finding scrap 500 gallon propane tanks so looks like buying new is the way to go.

Thanks again.