Refractory Cast Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory Cast Build

Gday all, this is my first wood fired oven build, been reading for a while and taken the plunge now to make one.

Design is roughly based on this diagram. Think that the height/ratio is pretty close to 63%

Have started to mark out formwork for the cast

Got this far on the weekend but have decided to redo some bits this week

Going for a refractory cast build, unsure of location and stand at the moment. Have already designed a steel frame/stand and would like to build on my deck, just have to look into weight issues. If not on deck, will be building in the backyard with a concrete block and slab stand

Re: Refractory Cast Build

Would love to see how your project is progressing along, Booma.

Comment

Not much progress at the moment, lack of funds. But have decided that it will be built in the backyard, not on the deck, so have been trying to design the layout of blocks to acommodate bench space, pizza oven and a open grill.

Definitely will be making some progress soon.

Comment

Hi Bouma,
        Have you worked out how to move the casting?
        Are you going to sit it on a firebrick floor?
        If it's not too late a funnelled entry will be more workable.
        Those door stops look like they could be heftier.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David,

Casting will be poured in a location closer to the final position, hopefully a couple of mates will help with the move.

Will be built on a firebrick floor/slab

Unsure of the funnel entry...could you please explain a little more?

And at the moment i am getting some more timber for the formwork, going to redo some of it and the door stops were definitely on the cards, at the moment there 25 x 30mm, make them a bit bigger this time.

Also going to go with an internal dimension of 900mm.

Comment

Do a calculation of the weight. I think you'll need more than a couple of mates. You could try casting in some eyebolts for lifting and maybe cast in two pieces, a lower vertical section, then the dome top. If the oven entry is wider at the front and then narrows towards the inner oven mouth, the access for cooking, wood loading and cleaning etc. is much easier. Because you are casting this is no more difficult than a parallel entry.

Comment

I was contemplating casting in two sections, top and bottom.
              The funnel entry, is this what you mean?

If so would there be any problems with the door only being fully shut/sealed when against the door stops?
              Is there much need for the door other than when retaining heat in the oven for extended cooking times?

Comment

Yes I think you'll find that better. The door will also be much easier to manipulate in the entry this way. You can sometimes use the door pulled out a little to allow some air around it to retain some heat without having it fully shut, but otherwise the door can remain out completely.

Comment

Alright been a while, plans changed, lots of ummming and ahhhinng and ended up scrapping the plans to build the oven from scratch. Ended up ordering a Modular Concrete kit before Xmas and built it over the holidays. Will post some of the build to begin with
                  Frame
                  Hebel Base
                  Fire Brick Floor
                  2 piece dome/entry

Comment

continued
                    Render and flue
                    Firing Up
                    First Pizza
                    Got approx 50 photos of the build, each individual step was very straight forward and so far so good. Used the oven 3 times so far, cooked 18 pizzas the night for 25 people, pumped them out in no time

Comment

Is that a sheet of plywood under the rather thin insulation under the floor?

Comment

The sheet is cement fibre board. I will admit insulation could have been greater but wanted to save weight with the oven on the deck and being mobile.

So far with the few cooks i have done external temps do not get greater than 40-50 degrees and internall temps once coals have gone out stays in the low 200s through the next day

Comment

I noticed the cook dome looks like a one piece cast. Is this the case? Could you tell me please the maker of the cast oven you have bought here. Thanks Wayne
                          Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven https://picasaweb.google.com/waynebe...42PompeiiOven#

Comment

Dome is entirely one piece, with a seperated entry piece that had a mortar joint.
                            Oven came from Alfresco Woodfired Ovens in Western Australia.

Absolutely loving it still, pizzas have always been good, now trying or the type of roast, so far done, roast beef and some pork belly, and also some great ribs

Comment

How hard was it to move the one piece dome into position? How heavy was it?

Comment

Working...
                              X