Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default pizza oven becomes a kiln

I am building a stoneware kiln using my cast oven design.I have cast a cylinder in three interlocking pieces atop a two piece floor. There is 50mm of calcium silicate board and one inch of perllite/fireclay under the floor. I had difficulty obtaining a lightweight castable so decided to make my own using a dense castable with an aggregate that would burn out. My initial tests using 50/50 dense castable (with ss needles) and sawdust proved way too weak, so tried 50/50 rice, castable(with ss needles) which was just as bad. ended up using 50/50 crushed firebrick, castable, with ss needle reinforcing, which worked really well. The walls are only 35mm thick as the objective is high temp (1200 C plus) and economical fuel use. A dome in the same brew will sit on top. This is a downdraft design with the exit at floor level. The burner entry is from under the floor. I will cast three lightweight castable pieces for the door, to be placed each time the kiln is loaded, gaps sealed with a 50/50 sand, clay mix. I plan on a 5" diam. ss flue with damper.The kiln size will be 4 ft3 fired with a single LPG burner.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-pb070232.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-pb070233.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 11-08-2011 at 03:58 AM. Reason: I thought of more, didn't I
Old 11-21-2011, 02:46 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: pizza oven becomes a kiln

Have mortared the walls and dome in position and one layer of blanket. Having trouble finding the time there is so much else to do.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-pb210209.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-pb210210.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-pb210211.jpg  
Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Davids
Will the oven be insulated like a pizza oven? And the heat source? fired by gas? Know nothing about kilns...so I'm watching with interest. The position of the chimney is an eye opener.

Regards Dave
Old 11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobblerdave View Post
Davids
Will the oven be insulated like a pizza oven? And the heat source? fired by gas? Know nothing about kilns...so I'm watching with interest. The position of the chimney is an eye opener.

Regards Dave
Yes, it will be insulated. A few more layers of blanket, then perl/vermicrete and a rendered concrete outer shell. It is a downdraft design so the flue entry is at the bottom. And yes LPG fired with a single burner.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Blanket and first layer of vermicrete started. My fingertips are a bit raw so I'll leave it for a few days. Actually that's a bit of an excuse, it's really because it's 34 C here now and the aircon is a more attractive option. After two weeks in sub zero temps in Japan the tropical summer heat is a shock to my old body.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-kiln.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-snowed-van.jpg  
Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Peasant

Very interesting build! Mahaloz for sharing... what will you be using the kiln for? I wonder if anyone on the site has built a kiln for drying wood...

Karl
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I will be using the kiln for firing reduced stoneware pottery.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Got a little more done on the kiln. Have now finished the first layer of vermicrete. It is so wet here ATM. Some rain every day and constantly , hot, overcast and humid, not good conditions for trying to dry vermicrete.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1280304.jpg  
Old 12-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It's getting close to 2 years since I last posted on this thread, been way too busy with other priorities.The kiln had its first successful firing last night. I cut the kiln shells earlier this week and fired it up (furniture only) with a part filled 9 Kg gas bottle on Wed. The gas ran out at around 700 C. With a fresh bottle connected I took it to 1020 C last night over 14 hrs. with a few things to be fired included. Biscuit firings must be taken slow and also because it was the first time firing the castable, it needs to be ramped up slowly. Plenty of power in the burner, I hope to be able to take it to stoneware temps (1200 C+) Pics show the pyrometer, flue damper and door panels.
Still have some more vermicrete tidying to do and the final render layer.
Attached Thumbnails
pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010458.jpg   pizza oven becomes a kiln-p1010459.jpg  

Last edited by david s; 12-13-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:18 AM
Journeyman

Looks good
Do you have a shot of the door and the gas flame /jet inside the unit?