Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By tchism

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 11:32 PM
Serf

Default Newly completed cob oven

We just finished our cob oven and have been drying it out and cooking with it. I think it turned out great.

Here is a small slideshow/video of it's construction.
Our Cob Oven Project - YouTube

Also, some pictures of the first sourdough made in it.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Newly completed cob oven

Beautiful loaves!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current WFO build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 11-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Gudday
Enjoyed your construction Utube it was good. I also like the results that oven looks good ... I've tended to see a lot of pretty ugly cob constructions now that I have seen yours.... Beautiful oven
Which brings me to a question. You had a dedicated band of cob mixers .... Is it possible to do that cob mixing in a cement mixer?
Regards dave

My Build

My Door

Last edited by cobblerdave; 11-07-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Nice to see a good looking and successful alternative WFO oven.

Experiences are the names I call my mistakes!

Link to my build -

My Picassa Picture Log
Old 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Serf

Thank you for the comments everyone!

cobblerdave, Sorry for taking so long to reply! We did use a mixer for the thermal layer of cob and could have used it in the sub floor which was a 25% fire clay to 75% sand mix. For the insulating layer of clay and redwood bark chips we ended up mixing it by hand. It kept wanting to stick to the paddles in the mixer and seemed more of a the it was worth. I think the hand mixing had the best results on that layer.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchism View Post

cobblerdave, Sorry for taking so long to reply! We did use a mixer for the thermal layer of cob and could have used it in the sub floor which was a 25% fire clay to 75% sand mix. For the insulating layer of clay and redwood bark chips we ended up mixing it by hand. It kept wanting to stick to the paddles in the mixer and seemed more of a the it was worth. I think the hand mixing had the best results on that layer.
Gudday thanks for the reply
I ask the question because of the cob construction I have seen usually involves a cast of thousand bare foot workers, the use of a cement mixer could bring that down to a one or two workers.
Regards Dave

My Build

My Door

Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 PM
Serf

We were able to do it with four of us but it took a good part of the day. I think having a smaller group helped us keep the quality up.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchism View Post

Yes, I found the same with trying to mix vermicrete in a mixer. It just sticks to the sides and paddles and makes cleaning it a bitch. Better to mix by hand. With a denser mix the mixer is ok but with insulating ones, not so.