Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Oven Design and Installation > Other Oven Types

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 02:57 AM
Apprentice

Default Moveable 26" Build Thread

Hi folks,

So I've eventually got started.

My principal design challenge is that I live in rented accommodation... so I may need to move one day and would like some chance of taking my oven with me. At the very least, I don't want to make too many permanent changes to the property that would be difficult to reverse.

My first ideas were to make something portable like here but I quickly realised that putting something on wheels placed too many limitations on the design, increased the cost and were of limited use - if it worked at all, it would only allow me to move it about on a flat surface. As cobblerdave pointed out (Initial build ideas - thoughts?), the key is in the subtle difference between portable and moveable, so I began focussing on how to have some chance of moving the thing with a forklift should I need to move one day. I have seen some designs on a pallet - but I wanted something a little more elegant.

In the end, I noticed that the stones of our garden bench weren't mortared together - so this has become the basis of the design.

I made a very sturdy "pallet" to go on top of these stones using 9cm beams for garden decking. Although I intend covering the thing, the treated wood should give me a few years. Across 4 9cm beams I have placed 3cm treated planks and on top of those, 4x50cm paving stones to provide some separation between the wood and the vermicrete layer that will go on top.

So here's my "moveable" "slab":
Attached Thumbnails
Moveable 26" Build Thread-img_0736.jpg   Moveable 26" Build Thread-porta_slab_med.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 04:26 AM
Master Builder

Default Re: Moveable 26" Build Thread

Looks like a viable solution. Definitely a step up from the standard pallet. Some kind of banding to hold the base together, stainless straps or the like would aid the 'moveability' of the thing. Hope it works for you.

Build Thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Build Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forno Food Pics
Old 05-21-2014, 02:53 AM
Apprentice

Ok, so I have 10cm of vermicrete down.

What do you put between the vermicrete and the oven floor bricks?

Incidentally, I have 5cm (2") thick refractory bricks. From here they seem to suggest that 6cm (2.5") is optimal. I presume I'm close enough?

Old 05-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Apprentice

The pdf instructions say to use a 1:1 fireclay and sand mixture for leveling the floor.

I would not worry too much about the floor thickness. There are commercial ovens with thinner floors.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:41 AM
Apprentice

Thanks hubert.

While waiting for the vermicrete to set, I've started cutting bricks. I wanted to try with a hammer and chisel as others have done before I buy any more tools... perhaps an angle grinder with diamond blade as others have suggested.

I've been reasonably successful on my first two test cuts with hammer and chisel. These cuts were almost straight along the shorter brick dimension, so relatively straightforward. However, some bricks will need to be cut in half longitudinally, along the longer dimension, and I don't think you'd get away with a straight line either - is this possible with a hammer and chisel?

Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Buy or borrow a 5" angle grinder and fit it with a decent diamond blade. Don't try a 4" grinder the blade will not cut deep enough.Make sure you use a decent respirator, the brick dust it creates is dangerous to inhale.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
Apprentice

An angle grinder is definitely a good tool to have. I only used a grinding disc, so I can't say how well the cut-off wheels work at making precision cuts. Maybe you could get a masonry blade for a circular saw if you have one. Or just go by Maslow's old adage: If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail...

Why do you have to split bricks the long way?
Old 05-21-2014, 02:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by di11on View Post
Thanks hubert.

While waiting for the vermicrete to set, I've started cutting bricks. I wanted to try with a hammer and chisel as others have done before I buy any more tools... perhaps an angle grinder with diamond blade as others have suggested.

I've been reasonably successful on my first two test cuts with hammer and chisel. These cuts were almost straight along the shorter brick dimension, so relatively straightforward. However, some bricks will need to be cut in half longitudinally, along the longer dimension, and I don't think you'd get away with a straight line either - is this possible with a hammer and chisel?
You won't be able to split firebrick along its length and get two good pieces by chiseling. Look for splits,which should be 3cm thick. If you're going to cut them, a segmental is more aggressive than a continuous rim, but both will work. Use the blade on an angle grinder, not a circular saw because unless you make a jig to hold the brick, it will be dangerous to cut one handed.

Current WFO build -

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubert_s View Post
The pdf instructions say to use a 1:1 fireclay and sand mixture for leveling the floor.

I would not worry too much about the floor thickness. There are commercial ovens with thinner floors.
Do you add water to this mixture? Do I really have to wait 7 days for the vermicrete layer to cure before I can lay my floor? :-)

Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Apprentice

I did not add any water, but there was some moisture in the sand. I used a notched trowel to spread the sand. I am not sure about vermicrete, I used insulation board and used the fireclay/sand mixture to level the boards and then put the bricks on without any further leveling.