Old 04-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Serf

Default Ideal Bricks for oven floor?

I am preparing to build a large castable oven in May and while I've sourced the materials for the dome, dome insulation and hearth insulation, I'm still trying to figure out the ideal material for the floor.

I'm trying to get an idea of the ideal thermal conductivity for the oven floor and from this find the right bricks.

I've read that Biscotto Di Sorrento, used in Stefano Ferrarra, has a thermal Conductivity of ~.3-.6 W/m-K. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that, as I don't think that data is easily findable.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the search.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Ideal Bricks for oven floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterschu View Post
I am preparing to build a large castable oven in May and while I've sourced the materials for the dome, dome insulation and hearth insulation, I'm still trying to figure out the ideal material for the floor.

I'm trying to get an idea of the ideal thermal conductivity for the oven floor and from this find the right bricks.

I've read that Biscotto Di Sorrento, used in Stefano Ferrarra, has a thermal Conductivity of ~.3-.6 W/m-K. I'm not sure of the accuracy of that, as I don't think that data is easily findable.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find anything in the search.
Perhaps you should check the specs for your castable and but some fire bricks with the same density and alumina assay.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:47 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Ideal Bricks for oven floor?

There's some good discussion on this thread that may help you.
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...html#post90998 (Soapstone vs Firebrick ??)