Old 01-16-2012, 12:30 AM
Peasant

Default First Oven Build

Great site with lots of information. I've poured my pad and plan on building a WFO using the steel dome technique I've seen on the forum. My big question deals with installing a fireplace beneath the dome.

Has anybody done this? Any problems you could comment on with a fireplace beneath the dome. There seems to be plenty of space between the cinder block walls for a fireplace. I've noticed most designs use this area beneath the WFO for storage, but I thought about setting a fireplace insert into this storage area instead. I would run the vent horizontally out of the fireplace insert, through cinder block wall, and then vertically opposite the WFO.

Thanks in advance,

Tap
Old 01-16-2012, 01:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: First Oven Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackFire View Post
I would run the vent horizontally out of the fireplace insert,
It wont work, chimneys work on the heat creating an upward draft, not a sideways one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:09 AM
Peasant

The horizontal run of the exhaust pipe would not be more than 12 inches before it turns and goes vertical. Would that create a huge issue? Surely the smoke and heat of the fire would travel through the exhaust pipe without too much trouble.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Turns and sharp bends need to be avoided in a flue too, the smoke is not like water that is under pressure, the first thing to restrict or slow it will indeed stop it.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Try to make the pathway 45 degrees rather than horizontal. Mydowndraft kiln I'm building will actually be pulling the flame down before it enters the flue at the bottom. I'm sure yours will work, but you may have to start with a tiny fire until the flue heats up. If the thing is outside it should not matter if it smokes a little at start up.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I seriously thought about having a fireplace under my oven which is a masonry build. I gave up on the idea because it was too complicated to design and build. To semi-uncomplicated things I chose to have a larger flu chamber/fireplace in front of the oven.
About horizontal runs:
My grandpaw had a couple of potbellied stoves in his old country store with horizontal runs of 6" stove pipe. They seemed to work really well. They shared a common masonry flu built into a homemade block wall which separated the store from the living area. The masonry flu continued thru a flat roof where 6" black stove pipe rose about another 10'. The stack was anchored in place with guide wires like on an old TV antenna. The stove in the living area rose to a height of about 7' before elbowing over to the flu thimble horizontal for about 4'. I'm thinking that the ceiling height must have been about 10 to 11'. The stove in the store area was in the middle of the room. I guess about 16' from the flu thimble. He had bailing wire suspending each section of pipe from the ceiling. If the stoves were 3' in height that would make the vertical run about 4' before going horizontal. That may be the key to what made them work,(I hate to mention this on another thread) but, grandpaw did preheat a flu before lighting the fire in the stove

"There is a snake in the garden."
Old 01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

A closed stove with a small air inlet would draw a lot differently to a wood oven that has a gaping hole at the front. Smoke will always find the easiest way out.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Your Grandad's flue, being so tall, would have had lots of draw to overcome the horizontal section.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 AM
Peasant

Thanks for all the advice! I bought the insert today from a guy on Craigslist. I will try and post some pics.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Here is a thread that I some how skipped. When I get time I will go back and read it all the way thru. You will probably find it to be interesting too.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ja...tml#post125893 (James' deck, fireplace and 36inch oven)

"There is a snake in the garden."