Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Peasant

Default Completed Cast Oven

I finally got the oven cast and we cooked a couple of pizzas in it. We had a great time. Now on to the door and insulation.

Do I make the door out of 3/16 steel and call it good or do I need to insulate it somehow? I made a temporary door out of 2" trailer timbers and it was a good fit. My fear is the wood door will burn up. Can somebody please direct me on the completion of the door?

Next question I have is the insulation ontop of the oven. Can I skip the blanket and layer on extra vermiculite & portland (at least a 6:1 ratio) ontop and around the oven. Or does the blanket play a vital role in creating my thermal mass?

Thanks again for all the help,

Tap
Old 05-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Completed Cast Oven

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackFire View Post
Or does the blanket play a vital role in creating my thermal mass?
The blanket is an insulator .......and is a very important part of the insulation too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you skip the blanket and use vermicrete as an alternative you will have to make it double the thickness to get the same result. Don't go as rich as 6:1 as it reduces the insulation value. I find 10:1 is much better and just enough to hold the stuff in place. Because it takes so much water let the sun and wind dry it for a couple of weeks before the curing fires and stucco. The blanket is a faster way to go.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Peasant

Brickie, sorry if I was unclear. I realize the blanket is an isulator. I was trying to go cheap and skip the blanket and just add more of the vermiculite and portland mixture.

David, can I use any type heat tolerant insulation as the blanket? I can purchase some stuff locally called "woolaroc" and use it. It is a little cheaper. Or do I need to use the blanket I have seen on this site? After the blanket is in place I planned on pouring my vermiculite and portland 4 inches thick around the walls and on the roof. Is that thick enough?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The normal way to go is blanket followed by vermicrete. Blanket alone does not give a very good shape as it goes a bit lumpy where folds are created. The vermicrete allows you to get back a nice spherical shape and gives a good surface to render against.

Regarding your door, steel is a good conductor and gets dangerously hot if it is uninsulated so not such a good choice IMO. A wooden door is more traditional and a better insulator, but is prone to charring, especially if put in place at too high a temp. Traditionally Italians soaked the door in a bucket of water. But eventually the door needs to be replaced, or insulate it.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM
Peasant

Does the blanket only go over the top? Or does it also fit around the sides? Is 4 inches of the 10 to 1 vermiculite and Portland mixture thick enough over the blanket and on the sides?

The door. Could I build the door out of 2 inch thick timbers and skin it with 3/16 steel to protect the wood from charring?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapRackFire View Post
Does the blanket only go over the top? Or does it also fit around the sides? Is 4 inches of the 10 to 1 vermiculite and Portland mixture thick enough over the blanket and on the sides?

Yes over the whole oven and 4" is plenty.

The door. Could I build the door out of 2 inch thick timbers and skin it with 3/16 steel to protect the wood from charring?
No the steel will char the wood, you need an insulator.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Peasant

Ok thanks. What do you use as an insulator between the steel and the fire?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use a wooden door with a safe fibre mill board insulation panel.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Peasant

Sounds good, but I don't know what fibre mill board is. Would that be something like concert backer board?