Old 03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Serf

Default Clay oven

Hi, this is a photo of the clay oven I am installing.

Truth is, I did not take any photo of mine, but this one is exactly the same. One meter outside diameter, made with very white clay, build in the west of Spain in a place called Pereruela.

Thickness of the wall seems to be around 4 cmts. It will be covered with another 10 cmts kaolin mud mixed with straw, and insulation around.

Miguel
Attached Thumbnails
Clay oven-pereruela.jpg   Clay oven-primerfuego.jpg  

Last edited by Miguel; 03-22-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Edited: added a photo
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Clay oven

Don't forget the insulation underneath. And consider something non-flammable for your clay covering. Are you doing a flue?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:19 AM
Serf

Default Re: Clay oven

Hi dmun,

I'm afraid I arrived too late to this page in relation with underneath insulation. I only have a layer of firebricks and loose clay on top of a 10cmts standard mortar lying directly on the ground. This side of the house is build in a mountain and the oven is on the high side, so it is at ground level on the other side of the stone wall.

I miss the point in relation in relation with non-flammable. I expect the clay to be non-flammable. Anyway, the final insulation will have a layer of fiberglass (or similar) under the final covering.

And yes, it has a flue.

Incidentally, your geodesic oven is amazing.

Miguel