Old 01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Laborer

Default Castable information please

I am wanting to read up on Castable molding for my next oven build. I have used a castable product here in Canada called MolditX with success but it was not poured into a mold. It was troweled into areas dealing with the vent to pipe transition where I was applying it on the thick side so went this route of refractory castable because of the thickness needed. I also used this product to form my keystone in the top of the cook dome for both of my last ovens and it has worked well.

I was reading s"Swampy's" post with interest on his castable oven but it kind of quit in the middle of things. Is there some reading or information that anyone can recommend for me to study up on regarding the making of refractory castable pieces so I can think about if refractory will be a part of my next build? This will build number three for me and wanting to explore all options. I have a vibrator this time around so I may want to make a proper mold for some of the oven components.

Thanks for this.............Wayne
Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Castable information please

If you are building a one off it is not worth the effort of creating moulds. A far easier way is to trowel the castable over a sand mould and remove the sand out the door when the castable has set (24hrs) If you do it carefully you can apply it so there are very few voids to refill. You should probably add stainless steel needle reinforcing to the castable mix. Do a search on the forum, plenty of people have done it this way.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is a blog here that might help. You could always contact the blog owner.
Using Castable Refractory Concrete In The Field - Pyromasse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Laborer

I would like to learn more on casting with a two piece mold as in a mold that can be filled and vibrated. I have a Stone vibrator and would like to give it a try.Thanks for the suggestions so far but I was looking for a thread from this site with someone sharing there casting tips etc.

Any links to past threads or posts that could be recommended for casting would be a great help ..........thanks Wayne
Step by Step of Oven #2 Build... I have built this one in partnership with a friend for a customer that took a liking to my first oven

Last edited by waynespizzaworld; 01-09-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wayne there is tons on castable refractory in the "other oven types" section.
Try Joey Velderains thread p.3