Old 04-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default My KitchenAid Mixer

In the spirit of getting things going with YouTube videos, and I have posted my first, very amateurish video. :-)

This is a 30-second clip on my whining KitchenAid mixer. More to come, with better content and better production values -- but hey, you need to start somewhere. Beside, I think this is going to be an excellent platform for sharing knowledge. Just think about how much we can do -- we could build an entire library of videos on everything you would ever want to know about wood-fired ovens.

But forgive me for the first few.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 04-06-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: My KitchenAid Mixer

good golly, I think I would resort to hand kneading.
You know, it is recommended that hearing protection be worn with many power tools.....I think your KA qualifies.

RT
Old 04-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Annoying!!! That looks like the good ones - an original before KitchenAid sold their name to an overseas operation. Those old ones are the workhorses that made a great name for KA.

Mine seems to hit the bowl unevenly as it mixes and the bowl support jumps up and down - more of a clunking noise. Irritating, but not annoying. It will walk all over the counter while mixing dough on medium speeds.

-
Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjbingham View Post

Irritating, but not annoying. It will walk all over the counter while mixing dough on medium speeds.
Ditto George~!

Try laying a large bath towel on the counter first. It helps some, and makes for quick and easy clean up!

My costs:

My pics:

Old 04-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Apprentice

My KitchenAide whined also......it finally attempted suicide by walking off the counter. It recovered somewhat and is now in foster care with a grateful friend. I bought an Electrolux mixer......love it love it love it. Handles all my dough so nicely, without whining or scooting.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I take my Kitchenaid out for walks now, or more correctly, it walks me. It whines at the neighbor's cat and the motor provides an exta heat source in the kitchen when I put too much dough in the bowl. I'm waiting for the ultimate cardiac arrest, when the thing's tongue is hanging out and just gives up in one last sad sudden jolt and then pukes a gear into the bowl. Then I get my Electrolux!

-
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by krosskraft View Post

I bought an Electrolux mixer......love it love it love it. Handles all my dough so nicely, without whining or scooting.
That's next on my list. Does anyone with an Electrolux have a camcorder. I would enjoy seeing a demo. :-)

James

Old 04-23-2008, 07:35 AM
Apprentice

How fast are you guys running your mixers? I have the 5.5 qt KA mixer, and I always run the dough hook on the lowest speed. It hasn't complained yet, but then again, you've surely had yours much longer and made much more dough with it.

In any case, the slowest speed still seems to be faster than my hand kneading, and of course you can't beat the mixer for those sticky high-hydration batches. Is there an advantage to higher speed, other than...well, speed?

Just curious.

I'm sure I'll start to covet the big fancy mixers when I start looking at bigger batches, which I expect will send the KA running and screaming.

Ed
Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Master Builder

Found this link again while surfing this morning

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

lower in the page it shows a link to a video with a DLX with scraper attachment in action.

Three Minute Pizza

Christo

Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Apprentice

The link to Jeff Varasano was extremely informative. He has clearly been working on perfecting his neoploitan dough recipe for quite some time. Well worth a read...quite long however.

This guy definitely needs a WFO.