Old 10-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Sourdough starter

Does anyone have a nice sourdough starter that they are prepared to barter with? I am getting more serious about my bread, and I think I am ready for the commitment issues associated with keeping a good sourdough going. I think I can get through my past sourdough relationship issues. :-)

Let me know.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Sourdough starter

I would be glad to send you some of mine but it was so easy to make. I followed someone's thread on the forum using rye flour and wheat flour.....it took off in just a few days, especially because I fed it twice a day with a 50-50 mix of reg flour and water (by weight).

This weekend I made some rolls with it and added a bit of cooked potato.....very nice.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:01 PM
Peasant

I have some starter from the Black Star Farms Winery that I have been baking with. I could send out a batch to you anytime... Jim
Old 10-06-2008, 12:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James,

I'd be glad to send you some of ours from Mary G's. Drake Remoray, Sarah and lots of other people are using it now. But, when making your own, which can be very simple to do, it's important to point out that it takes about six months for it to come to maturity, with all the lactobacilli and enzymes, and other good bugs present. It's also important to know that over time either a liquid levain or a stiff starter, no matter the origin, will be taken over by the dominant yeast strain in a particular location. This is not a bad thing.

There's a lot of voodoo out there about wild yeast starters. Ignore it.

Jim
Old 10-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Peasant

I have four different starters if you are interested. San Fran, an australian, and 2 from italy. let me know which you are interested in....
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM
Apprentice

CJim is a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but I still have to second his point about sourdough voodoo. I've abused mine terribly, and it always bounces back with a little care.

I understand the desire to have a starter that will create a particular bread, but it seems to me that we have somewhat limited control. As CJim pointed out, local yeast and bacteria strains will tend to dominate over time. The flour you feed it with also brings it's own variables.

Given all of this, is it worth "importing" a starter instead of making your own?
Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hey all,

Thanks for the support on this. I have talked with Jim, and he has sent me his Mary G's starter, and I am very excited. I read somewhere that having a nice clean starter to start makes sense, as it gets you off on the right food.

Scary -- I am making a serious commitment here...

Thanks for your help Jim!
James

Old 10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

Hi Jim,

The starter arrived today, and I am off and running. I will let you know how it goes. Nice idea labeling the box Toffee/Candy.
James

Old 10-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I was just imagining if someone nicked the packet, and got their first mouthfull of the "toffee"

Old 05-07-2009, 12:42 AM
Peasant

I would also like to start some sourdough baking and was wondering how people send out the starter through the mail? Does it travel well?

Would somebody be willing to send me some to France? I remember my time living in San Francisco and loved their sourdough. But any good sourdough starter would be appreciated.

Regards,

Kosta