Old 12-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Pecans

Back to my original offer -- 1 lb of fresh pecans for....

I liked the idea of a nice starter Jim.

Maybe we could work out the details....

BTW I can get more than 1 lb. 1 lb just seemed like a reasonable amount to start with.
But if others want to try some, I'd more more than happy to make more trades.!

Deal or no deal, that is the question!

Cheers,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 12-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pecans

Dave,

Let's do that. Send me an email and we'll work it out.

Jim
Old 12-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

We've done it! It's a deal. That's number one, and years from now, when we have our one billionth barter deal, we will all remember that Dave and Jim exchanged pecans for starter. Way to go guys. Eccellente.

James

Old 01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

James and all,

Just an update: a package containing my home grown sourdough starter is on its way from Ontario to Dave in Texas; pecans are on their way from Texas to Ontario.

Jim
Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Peasant

Just curious, Dave, how do you get your pecans? I have a business and go through (i.e., buy) about 30 pounds of raw pecan pieces a month. Do you have commercial access, or just smaller quantities?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

There are tons of pecans around here, but the ones I have access to are just ones that I pick up in my yard.

People sell them around here for about 70 cents a pound.

How much does it cost you to get them?

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-24-2008, 09:39 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Well.. the procrastinator Dave finally got Jim's pecans in the mail.

No excuses... Just lameness I suppose.

Anyways.... I received the sour dough starter from Jim over a week ago.....
I can't wait to put it to good use! I sure smells awesome!

When I do get some play time, I will bake some bread and post some pictures for everyone!

Thanks Jim! I apologize for the delay.

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Dave,

No problem with the delay at all--we're all busy. That's from my point of view, of course. I do get the occasional whine from Wendy and fourteen year old Kate: "You SAID you were going to make us pecan pie ." I've been blaming it cheerfully on you. Looks like my excuse time will run out shortly.

Just make sure to feed the starter every week or so to keep it healthy. The sourness would develop quite a bit in transit, but it will lessen once you begin feeding it. If you like it really sour, though, feed it with half bread flour and half whole rye.

Jim
Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckJim View Post
Dave,

No problem with the delay at all--we're all busy. That's from my point of view, of course. I do get the occasional whine from Wendy and fourteen year old Kate: "You SAID you were going to make us pecan pie ." I've been blaming it cheerfully on you. Looks like my excuse time will run out shortly.
I guess I will have to send a pie now!

Quote:

Just make sure to feed the starter every week or so to keep it healthy. The sourness would develop quite a bit in transit, but it will lessen once you begin feeding it. If you like it really sour, though, feed it with half bread flour and half whole rye.

Jim
Thanks for the advice.
I think I will go for the half bread flour and half rye!
I bet it would be awesome smeared with butter!

Thanks Jim!

Dave

My costs:

My pics:

Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Peasant

I pay $140 to get a 30# case shipped to the store in Ames, IA 50010. And I guess I didn't even think about this difference until now when I am looking at the huge price difference - but mine are raw, shelled (i.e., no shells) pecan pieces.....ready to use. So, mine are actually processed some and not just whole pecans. I am guessing that at your price they are just raw, whole pecans??? Do people sell shelled pecan pieces?