Old 12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Question Prevailing wind and Vent Landing Orientation

I'm planning the placement of my oven on the oven stand. Before I can place it the correct distance from the front edge of the stand, I need to know how deep it will be.

Complicating this local installation is a strong, prevailing, Southeast wind. As I face the oven landing, the prevailing wind will be coming from the direction of my right hip pocket (about 120-135 degrees from the landing opening.

I'm wondering about an intervention in the building stage to limit the affect of this prevaiing wind. Anyone have any insight/experience here?

What about a deeper than normal landing with a cleverly placed space in the archbrick walls to create turbulence outside the oven, rather than allowing the arch to direct the wind straight into the open landing?

Last edited by Lburou; 04-07-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Prevailing wind Vent Landing

I just use one of my doors.

Prevailing winds vary by season. I live 5 miles from the gulf, 2 miles from the bay and you would think "sea breeze" from the W or SW all the time; not true, only certain months. Current atmosheric conditions such as where you are in relation to the lastest cold or warm front are the major variable.
We just had nearly 2 wks of N NW (and cold) winds, now today thru Sat winds will be from the S.
Most of the summer the east coast sea breeze prevails with winds coming from the E (I live on the W coast).
I guess what I am saying, in MOST (not all) areas, it does not make sense to alter you plans based on prevailing winds because of all of the weather variances. Build an insulated door and use it whenever you need a windscreen...it works

RT
Old 12-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Prevailing wind Vent Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
I just use one of my doors.

Prevailing winds vary by season. I live 5 miles from the gulf, 2 miles from the bay and you would think "sea breeze" from the W or SW all the time; not true, only certain months. Current atmosheric conditions such as where you are in relation to the lastest cold or warm front are the major variable.
We just had nearly 2 wks of N NW (and cold) winds, now today thru Sat winds will be from the S.
Most of the summer the east coast sea breeze prevails with winds coming from the E (I live on the W coast).
I guess what I am saying, in MOST (not all) areas, it does not make sense to alter you plans based on prevailing winds because of all of the weather variances. Build an insulated door and use it whenever you need a windscreen...it works

RT
Thanks for your response RT

I'd like to think your reasoning applies, but the wind here blows 9 months of the year from the SSE (local topography funnels the air down our river valley).

I understand about weather fronts (I have a commercial pilot's license). A good door may be the ticket, even so, I can ameliorate some of the direct air movement with a deeper landing and some slits between bricks holding the arch up.....Maybe its silly, I but wanted to hear the experience of others before putting trowel to brick.

Perhaps placing a door as you recommend will be the best advice I get

Last edited by Lburou; 12-16-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The wind here pretty much goes west to east. I placed the opening NE. There has only been a few times when it was really blowing that I had some draw out the front.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les View Post
The wind here pretty much goes west to east. I placed the opening NE. There has only been a few times when it was really blowing that I had some draw out the front.
Hmmmm. So, all I have to do is have the landing face NE and build a tunnel to NV, right?

I've driven most of that SW region and observed areas where the trees actually grow in a way that points away from the wind....Same thing happens in portions of Texas, OK, and KS. Those are some consistant winds.

I considered moving the opening, but ergonomically it won't work, so I'm locked in to this orientation. The door in front of the opening (per RT) may be the best thing I can do.

Thanks for responding
Old 12-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just plan on standing in front of the opening all the time....
Old 12-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I do that too......fascinated with fire
Old 12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Just plan on standing in front of the opening all the time....
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTflorida View Post
I do that too......fascinated with fire

I'll assign that job to my grandson

Last edited by Lburou; 01-13-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Journeyman

Your grandson may just eat all the pizza as it comes out of the oven - if he is anything like my 2 boys!!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Doug, That is an interesting solution, thanks.

I'm convinced that I need a little longer landing to ward off the prevailing wind. Then, I'm planning to order the 59" peel set from fornobravo.

My oven will be about 39-40 inches. I'll probably make the landing 1.5 or 2 bricks deep and may have a shelf in front of that. I don't want to bend or lean much to get into the oven (my back).

Its all about tools (59 inch peel set). He who dies with the most tools wins

Enjoyed following your oven build Doug!

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our One Meter Pompeii Oven album is

An album showing our Thermal Breaks is

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.